Bonding the neutral in a sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji

Would like to know if you bond the neutral conductor in a sub panel, from the neutral bar to the panel.

(Email address removed - PM Feature may be used for contact)

[ November 16, 2005, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

BruceH

Re: Bonding the neutral in a sub panel

Your profile states you are an electrician, this question tells us you are probably not. We are discouraged from answering questions from DIY'ers and those not involved in the electrical trade.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Maybe, maybe not, depends on a few things. :)

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and take his word that he's in the electrical trade.

No. No. No!!!!!!
This isn't always true.

As Roger said, there are times when the neutral and ground bond is permitted in a subpanel. Your question is too vague for a proper response. We need more information.

stars13bars2

Benji
Give us the information on this installation. Is it in the same building, and how many wires are feeding this panel. I'll still bet dollars to doughnuts that the answer will be No. No. No!!!!
Any takers???????

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
I just read 250.30 and 250.32 B and I did not see anyhing about a "sub panel". :D :p
Check with the navy; they have plenty of them.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by LarryFine:Check with the navy; they have plenty of them.
In my Navy days, I only had to deal with "target panels." :D :D

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Oh I get it:
Target-surface ships are targets for subs.
Still not sure what a sub panel is.
We use the term frequently, but it has no meaning.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer

Originally posted by Leitmotif:
OK so when do you tie the neut and ground together in a sub panel??
In Washington, you can't ever tie them together in a sub panel. Since he signed as Seattle, WA, I thought I'd point that out. Its a state WAC rule and not an NEC one.

[ November 20, 2005, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: suemarkp ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Originally posted by suemarkp:Its a state WAC rule and not an NEC one.
Could you give me the rule number? I want to look that one up. If the WAC actually calls it a "sub-panel," then Tom will have to stop saying that that phrase doesn't have any meaning. :D :D

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer

No they don't come out and say subpanel, but I think we all know what he means. The WAC stipulates that all feeders to detached structures be fed with a 4-wire feeder. So the 250.32(B)(2) choice is not a choice in Washington.

The WAC says: 032 Two or more buildings or structures.
(1) Effective August 1, 2003, an equipment grounding conductor must be installed with the circuit conductors between buildings and/or structures. A grounded conductor (i.e., neutral) is not permitted to be used in place of a separate equipment grounding conductor between buildings and/or structures.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Originally posted by suemarkp:. . . but I think we all know what he means.
Sure, Tom knows what it means. He is just channeling "Bennie" again.

But thanks for the WAC citation.

aa0qm

I thought this forum would be better than most of the others I check out for answers. I thought there were pro's, beginners, layman and everything else in between here to help. As usual it is full of insecure so-called pro's simply trying to make all questions look stupid and even make each other look stupid. You know who you are. There are exceptions, of course, like Suemarkdp (or something like that). Bonding/grounding is one of the most misunderstood subjects in the NEC. Even the inspectors in our area can't agree on everything regarding this subject.

pierre

aa0qm

It seems to me that your comment puts you directly in the position you are so steadfastly commenting on. And it is only your first comment here????? Well I think that says volumes about you, doesn't it.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by aa0qm:
As usual it is full of insecure so-called pro's simply trying to make all questions look stupid and even make each other look stupid. You know who you are. There are exceptions, of course, like Suemarkdp (or something like that). Bonding/grounding is one of the most misunderstood subjects in the NEC. Even the inspectors in our area can't agree on everything regarding this subject.
You're right. We're hoarding all the secrets, belittling the folks just starting out, and leaving them idiots out in the cold.

We sure don't spend half an hour passing along that vital knowledge so that someone else can pass along that spark. I appreciate your constructive critizism. See you back here for your next profound thought in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.