as-builts, shop drawings what software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Re: as-builts, shop drawings what software?

Besides as professional electricians why wouldn't they be accurate?
Yeh you would hope so. However, most plans I see today are filled with mistakes, duplicate circuits, missing information etc. When you have that as a starting point and add a fast track schedule and a large crew (30+ electricians and 5 or more Foreman) it's pretty unrealistic to think you are going to have 100% accurate as-builts on a job as when the push is on they are the first thing to get neglected. Everyone does the best they can but some are better at it than others. When it comes to laying out the three guys at the gang box waiting for a project and working on as-builts guess which one gets done!

Scott,
Are you still using R-14 or have you upgraded??

[ June 02, 2005, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

chrsb

Thank you all for the the replies so far, it is a very interesting subject. In the past I have seen specs call for these as builts, along with cut sheets, maintance manuals etc.. 9 times out of 10 these things are never asked for. If they do not ask for them, I am not going to supply them. The main reason I am looking into this is I am bidding alot of public jobs and suspect these might be a little more stringent on following specs.

Scott, I have a walk through this afternoon at the college we are bidding on, I will ask what they are requiring. Even if they do not require an electronic format, I still want to look into getting the software and learning how to do it. I have been reading alot of articles that talk about everything going to the electronic version, especially estimating documents. I also want to get into the design build area, my GC has a couple customers that require it and at the present time we are unable to bid those projects.

This has turned into an interesting and educational thread, I hope it helps someone else as much as it has been helping me.

hardworkingstiff

Wow, a lot of smart people here.

Anyway, my best customer (dock builder) draws plans using AutoCad (2005 I think) and has had some issues in people not being able to read their files. I asked them to send them to me in a "drawing exchange format" (AKA *.dxf) and I can read them in a CAD program I play with called Turbo Cad (version 8) that I picked up from Office Max for about $100. I take their drawings, open them, then save them as my programs drawing and modify them as I need to.

My drawings are very simplistic. This program lets you draw 3D and layers (has a lot of the same features as AutoCad) that I don't use. I found a local printer that will print them for me on E paper for $1.25/sheet. I love it.

Sounds like you need a good CAD draftsman and/or designer. We do this kind of thing all the time for different people. (Not a solicitation)

Your field person (foreman, supervisor, whoever) could mark-up or redline the drawings as to how they really want to do the install then pass them on to the designer who could both check them and turn them into CAD files that could be submitted for approval.

A good CAD person can whip through a lot of drawings in a short time.

I can understand a contractor or electrician wanting to learn CAD, that's great, however don't forget it is a very specialized skill. Someone who has been working on AutoCAD since say Release 1.5 with twenty years experience is hard to beat on bulk work. Small changes and such you probably could do your own. Your mileage may vary.

[ June 03, 2005, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Sparky Mike ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I use Microsoft Visio Pro for drawings. Its very easy to use, far easier than a CAD program. I like it because I can insert digital photos, excel and word drawings.
You create stencils of common objects such as fuses, disconnects and then drag and drop onto the drawing, they are automatically resized.
If you PM me with your email I can send you a visio drawing in PDF format.

chrsb

Well I ended up getting both Autocad and Visio Professional. Now to begin with the learning curve. I also got a bunch of symbols for Autocad so I don't have to draw my own. I was looking for symbols for Visio but have not found any. Do you guys recomend any books to learn the basics of autocad? I just need to learn how to insert circuit numbers, maybe add plugs and switches, and put in major conduit runs. Also if anybody has a CAD drawing that I could practice with I would appreciate it.

tx2step

Chris -- how is the Visio Pro working out for you?

Is it fairly easy to make drawings with?

How versatile is it?

Did you find a source for symbols, or are you having to make them yourself?

Does anyone else have any suggestions for fairly inexpensive drawing software?

Autocad is both too complex and too expensive for my needs right now.

[ June 25, 2005, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: tx2step ]

chrsb

tx2step,

I really have not played with Visio yet, I am still looking for symbols. It came with a handfull of symbols and looked easy to use. I have been learning Autocad, I got a training DVD that works with Autocad, so far it seems like a nice program. As far as cost for the programs, I wont go into where or how but ebay is a good starting point for cheap software. I also got Acrobat professional and it is nice to do cut sheets for lighting fixtures, I can edit the sheets from the lighting specs and make them look nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.