AMP READING ON GROUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey823

Re: AMP READING ON GROUND

The card I am referring to is called an electrical card issued by the U.S. Dept of Labor, under the Mine Safety and Health Administration controlled by Part 77.103 for Sur. and Part 75.153 for U.G. under their Federal code book. Cards are issued for the training you have had, some people have only surface cards and some people only have U.G. cards. This card does not make me a licensed electrician but it does allow me to Run wire or cables, work on, hookup, change transformers, splice anything from 110 to 7200 volts in the mine, check permissibility on explosion proof motors and enclosures. There are a lot of Federal codes and laws that governs the mining industry.

This card makes me an electrician in the mine but not on the street and I don`t claim to be, but I have over the 28 years in the mine and I have learned a great deal about electricity and some of it does apply elsewhere.

Mike

cwclifton

Here in Allen County, Indiana we run a bare copper( #6 for 100 amp service,#4 for 200 amp service ) within 5' of the water pipe entry into the house to the PB. Jump the water meter. Jump the hot to cold on water heater. Ground the gas line. Drive two 8' ground rods at least 6' apart.

cwclifton

Man you all can type! I just checked this post and mine should of been like three ago. That is a heck of a story. If what you said went down like that this guy should be striken form electricity and general work ..maybe a career at Mc Donalds would be better suited. lol. Sorry to hear this happened to you as I believe it happens to alot of people who do not check the background or references of "electricians".

davet

I was called in to replace the previous plant electrician whose both hands received 3rd degree burns.(Later found out he was no electrician,just vaugly familiar with electric).The plant was going through a complete electrical upgrade based on his findings of the ground wire going back to the main water line had a normal current of 2amps.and over time as the plant operated the ground current would rise to 6amps,which would trip the shunt on the main plant breaker ,effectively shutting down the plant.
His reasoning: Need more power.Thus the electrical upgrade.After he left,received various calls regarding people getting zapped,Lighting fxtrs. burned up,etc. Found that he wired 120v.Florescents to wild leg of nearest electrical panel,Used ground of Machine lite fixture as nuetral ,and other short cuts.As one can see ,this would increase the return ground at the water meter thus tripping the shunt on main breaker.Unfortunatly, the owner was already committed to this upgrade.

friebel

After reading all of the information about Main Grounds, and current being on the Conductor going to the Main Ground, brings back a situation when I was an electrical apprentice boy, and my boss had me checking Main Ground readings for ohms resistance to ground. At our site, our management wanted no more than 2 ohms, to ground. Yes, I realize the Code book states 25 ohms. So you can imagine, we spent a lot of time on what we called Fault & Static Inspection, along with checking our Main Grounds, every four years. At that time, we had 8000 employees on our plant, which was more than one square mile in area.
This was at an industrial site, and my boss came running over to make sure that I was okay and that I was doing my job safely and properly. The reason being, is that we had just had a fatality in our company down in Texas. The electrician was checking Main Grounds, like I was doing, only he lifted the Main Ground wire from it's termination point on the 8-inch water main and he came in contact with the bare 2/0 copper wire and ground. Needless to say, there was a fault, that they later found out of 30 amps going to ground.
Pardon me for being long-winded, but I never stop talking about Safety to electricians.

Status
Not open for further replies.