Adding a Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Crickets? Do you have to repull the wire or are they letting you stick with three conductor?
They are letting me slide on the 4th conductor as there is no metallic paths between the two buildings. Also cost and aggravation factor since I already have to do more than originally planned.

kwired

Electron manager
Prior to 2020 the service OCPD had to be "part of or immediately adjacent to" the disconnect. Perhaps they are stretching to the firefighter disconnect rule to cover this situation.
But the service disconnect for the house is apparently inside the house.

He did say it was the POCO that didn't like the installation wanting the disconnect, not the EI.

I kind of have to question whether this creates more violations - service disconnecting means inside and one outside on same structure.

Think at very least without clear labeling someone could think they are turning off the house with this added switch.

But the service disconnect for the house is apparently inside the house.

He did say it was the POCO that didn't like the installation wanting the disconnect, not the EI.

I kind of have to question whether this creates more violations - service disconnecting means inside and one outside on same structure.

Think at very least without clear labeling someone could think they are turning off the house with this added switch.
If I am understanding it correctly, the disconnect being added is for detached structure, and that would absolutely cause confusion and is unsafe in my opinion because now someone thinks they are shutting off the structure it's mounted on but they are not.

kwired

Electron manager
If I am understanding it correctly, the disconnect being added is for detached structure, and that would absolutely cause confusion and is unsafe in my opinion because now someone thinks they are shutting off the structure it's mounted on but they are not.
That is my thoughts as well. EI should probably shoot this down unless the house disconnect is also placed adjacent to it.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That is my thoughts as well. EI should probably shoot this down unless the house disconnect is also placed adjacent to it.
Oh crap...
Now he has to install a second disconnect in that same area...
What a can-o-worms

kwired

Electron manager
Oh crap...
Now he has to install a second disconnect in that same area...
What a can-o-worms
Meter with 2 200 amp mains was my earlier suggestion, won't look cobbled together either.

ADD: or leave it as is because it is already code compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.