Adding a Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
POCO doesn't like the two conduits in the same trench. They are in the same trench from the trans pad to the house, from the trans pad, the trench turns and goes to the separate building. There is only a single conduit from that point.
I don’t understand what the big deal is. It’s all in conduit. They should never have to remove or work only the wire. If they do they disconnected at the transformer. The other conduit isn’t going to magically remain energized if the source is off.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don’t understand what the big deal is. It’s all in conduit. They should never have to remove or work only the wire. If they do they disconnected at the transformer. The other conduit isn’t going to magically remain energized if the source is off.
From previous posts, this job has been eyeballed and discussed by inspectors, POCOs, and Forum members.
You can forget logic & understanding and Code :) . Rulings have been made and Bill is having to live with those rulings.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
From previous posts, this job has been eyeballed and discussed by inspectors, POCOs, and Forum members.
You can forget logic & understanding and Code :) . Rulings have been made and Bill is having to live with those rulings.
I don't know whether to smile or cry, but either way I'm stuck with adding the disconnect.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It sounded like he wants to insert a disconnect into the left conduit, which is the load side, which means the hots would already be on top. An exterior disco and a Myers hub should suffice.

I suggested literally inserting the disconnect in the conduit, under the left half of the meter. With careful measuring and cutting, the wires should reach their respective terminals.

ritelec

It sounded like he wants to insert a disconnect into the left conduit, which is the load side, which means the hots would already be on top. I suggested literally inserting the disconnect in the conduit, under the left half of the meter.

Yes, your question I understood and makes sense (if there's the room). The whole how to add a disconnect to the left conduit.
Offset the conduit or move it to enter a new disconnect added to the left of the meter. Wouldn't that be the answer? (or add the disconnect as you suggested.)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
My original plan was to cut the conduit and use an LR to come out the bottom of the meter and over to the disco that will be placed to the left. Then use an LL out of the disco and back to the conduit going down.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It sounded like he wants to insert a disconnect into the left conduit, which is the load side, which means the hots would already be on top. An exterior disco and a Myers hub should suffice.

I suggested literally inserting the disconnect in the conduit, under the left half of the meter. With careful measuring and cutting, the wires should reach their respective terminals.
I found a slim GE 200A mobile home service panel that I wanted to put straight in line with the left conduit. Only problem with it was there were two KO on the bottom and neither was 3". Be hard to drill in the center through two KOs without the concentrics breaking out.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My original plan was to cut the conduit and use an LR to come out the bottom of the meter and over to the disco that will be placed to the left. Then use an LL out of the disco and back to the conduit going down.
Sounds like you'd need to pull the bottom wires down and add new top wires to reach the terminals.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Tn ain't that far from Va!;)
Is that a threat or an invitation? :giggle:

Added: Years ago, a girlfriend and I spent 10 days in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on a motorcycle camping trip.

We rode in from Charlotte, went north on 441 (great road), then went east around the top and into a "primitive" campground.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is that a threat or an invitation? :giggle:

Added: Years ago, a girlfriend and I spent 10 days in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on a motorcycle camping trip.

We rode in from Charlotte, went north on 441 (great road), then went east around the top and into a "primitive" campground.
It's an invitation but if you don't come then its a threat!:)

Hold on....If you add a disco wont you need 4 conductor instead of three which I assume you have now?

Another option: disco nippled to the left of the meter, out the bottom of the disco with a 45-45 offset over to the existing pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.