Adding a Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I need to intercept the conduit on the left to add a 200A disconnect w/OCP. The conduit is 3" PVC. I've thought of a couple of ways but thought I would run it through the "brain mill" here and get thoughts.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would cut the PVC above the expansion fitting and replace it with a piece of pipe containing an offset to the left and into the switch. Then nipple the switch to the meter.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I need to intercept the conduit on the left to add a 200A disconnect w/OCP. The conduit is 3" PVC. I've thought of a couple of ways but thought I would run it through the "brain mill" here and get thoughts.

Which side (Pipe) is the utility feed?
Left side or right side?
will your utility allow a disconnect before the meter if it’s the left pipe?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can't put the disconnect to the left of the meter and double nipple (line=load) into the meter socket ?

kwired

Electron manager
Are you feeding a separate building? Which NEC edition applies?

Prior to 2020 and the emergency disconnect rule, I'd just run service conductors to the separate building instead of putting a disconnect on that building.

Otherwise maybe replace that meter socket with meter with two 200 amp mains? Problem with most those is the UG supply generally needs to hit the left side, just by the way they are designed.

kwired

Electron manager
Can't put the disconnect to the left of the meter and double nipple (line=load) into the meter socket ?
If this is a service disconnecting means being added you can't run load side back though same raceway as line side conductors, they could be in the meter socket though.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Which side (Pipe) is the utility feed?
Left side or right side?
will your utility allow a disconnect before the meter if it’s the left pipe?
Right side is utility, disconnect will be after the meter
Are you feeding a separate building? Which NEC edition applies?

Prior to 2020 and the emergency disconnect rule, I'd just run service conductors to the separate building instead of putting a disconnect on that building.

Otherwise maybe replace that meter socket with meter with two 200 amp mains? Problem with most those is the UG supply generally needs to hit the left side, just by the way they are designed.
I am feeding a separate building. The meter is a 400A (320), I used the exception that allows two sets of service conductors off a single lateral/drop. POCO doesn't like it, inspector is allowing the disconnect not to be grouped since it would be a major pain to either put the disconnect inside or add another to the outside.
Good night, that meter looks like it's 6-1/2 feet off the ground. You planning to lower that while you're about it?
Center of meter is at 6', picture makes it look high.
That's what I was thinking. Are you interrupting the line or load side of the meter??
Load

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Bill, are you trying to turn the single feed into two? In other words, want to add the new disco AND keep feeding the existing conductors through?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Bill, are you trying to turn the single feed into two? In other words, want to add the new disco AND keep feeding the existing conductors through?
What I have is a 400A meter base with dual lugs. One set of SE conductors goes inside the house to the 200A panel. The other set goes to a separate building. I'm having to intercept the feed to the other building and add a disconnect. The left side is the one to the other building.

I am feeding a separate building. The meter is a 400A (320), I used the exception that allows two sets of service conductors off a single lateral/drop. POCO doesn't like it, inspector is allowing the disconnect not to be grouped since it would be a major pain to either put the disconnect inside or add another to the outside.
Hmmm, have you given up on fighting it? Is it in the POCO specs that 230.40 exception 3 is not allowed? Love it. Prohibit a code compliant install and allow a non compliant one. Geniuses.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
POCO doesn't like the two conduits in the same trench. They are in the same trench from the trans pad to the house, from the trans pad, the trench turns and goes to the separate building. There is only a single conduit from that point.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What I have is a 400A meter base with dual lugs. One set of SE conductors goes inside the house to the 200A panel. The other set goes to a separate building. I'm having to intercept the feed to the other building and add a disconnect. The left side is the one to the other building.
Ohhh. Okay, just cut out a piece of conduit that will fit the new disco, with a Myers hub on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.