690.17 Disconnecting Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

masudik

Can someone clarify the exact intent and meaning of code 690.17 in NEC 2014? To me this is stating a PV "listed" device is required. I have spoken with Schnieder electric and the only PV listed circuit breakers they have are three pole and greater than 50A. My company commonly installs Enphase microinverters and typically use residential two pole 20A breakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike Holt, you out there?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
There are 10 options listed in 690.17 and the last five are not PV listed items. So I'm not sure why you seem to feel that your options are limited.

The only thing I can add is that this section applies only to DC disconnecting means. This section has no relevance to an Enphase system.

Carultch

Can someone clarify the exact intent and meaning of code 690.17 in NEC 2014? To me this is stating a PV "listed" device is required. I have spoken with Schnieder electric and the only PV listed circuit breakers they have are three pole and greater than 50A. My company commonly installs Enphase microinverters and typically use residential two pole 20A breakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike Holt, you out there?

Any circuit breaker rated for the voltage and the amps as required, can work on the AC side of the system. It doesn't need to be listed for PV applications. It does need to be suitable for backfeed, and most standard branch breakers are, provided that they don't have additional features.

In the case of the DC side of the system, microinverters do not require DC disconnects. The input connectors can be disconnected (not under load) for inverter service, provided that the AC disconnecting means is disconnected.

If NEC2014 applies, Enphase and other microinverter systems require AFCI on the AC side. Until a manufacturer makes one that is listed for backfeed, you are stuck in a Catch 22 for use of microinverter systems. You can either get a waiver in writing from the AHJ to accept solutions that were OK in the previous code cycle, or you can wait until such a product exists, or come up with another solution.

SolarPro

There are 10 options listed in 690.17 and the last five are not PV listed items.

Right. And this whole list is expected to go away in the next Code cycle. This list might belong in a product safety standard, but there's no need for it in the NEC. (Unless confusing people needlessly is the desired goal.)

Status
Not open for further replies.