4/0 cable into the back of a 3 1/2 inch deep panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rb

Re: 4/0 cable into the back of a 3 1/2 inch deep panel

Stew,

I disagree that 312.6(a)does not apply. 408.2 requires panelboards to comply with the provisions of Articles 312 and 314.

314.28(A)(2)requires that the distance between a raceway entry inside the box and the opposite wall of the box equal six times the largest raceway.

The exception to this rule permits a reduction to the distance required by 312.6(A), for one wire per terminal, if the entry is opposite a removable cover like a panel cover.

However, 314.28(A)(3) permits smaller dimensions than those required by 314.28(A)(1) and (A)(2)if the box is listed for and permanently marked with the maximum size of conductors permitted.

Panelboards marked as "Enclosed Panelboards" have been investigated by UL to determine wire bending space. If the panelboard is marked "Use Copper or Aluminum Wire", the wire bending space has been evaluated for aluminum wire.

I would permit the 4/0 aluminum conductors to be installed in this manner if the panelboard is marked to permit the use of aluminum wire.

stew

and they are always so marked with not only the al/cu designatio0n but also the max wire size.

[ March 19, 2004, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: stew ]

jibber

JB ... I totally agree; a very reasonable and what I feel is a proper interpretation of the code. Like I said in one of my previous posts, after 35 years the issue would certainly would have risen, especially if it was a "safety hazard" :)

tim

IWIRE, you said 2/0 copper. Did you mean to say 3/0? Here in central Illinois we have to run 3/0 copper for 200 amp service. Just wondering. Tim H.

iwire

Staff member

Hi Tim, if you go by 310.16 3/0 would be correct, but for a dwelling unit you can use Table 310.15(B)(6).

Using Table 310.15(B)(6) a 200 amp service can use 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.