3PH transformer blows breaker on power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOG1

Occupation
Business owner
Have a Federal Pacific TX40T51-A 208x240x480 pri, 400Y/231 sec 51KVA, using 240vac pri, and 400 sec Y config. When you throw the disconnect mounted on the side of transformer it will blow the breaker on the primary. We even hooked the primary direct to a fused disconnect feed with 125 slow blows in it and it knocked out our 200 amp main breaker. This transformer is drawing like up to 9 amps no load also. Odd thing is I have another FP trans that is 75 KVA setting right beside it and it never has blown anything and the highest leg draws a mere 3 amps. Fed Pacific claims nothing wrong I am mystified how one does this and the other one does not.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Have a Federal Pacific TX40T51-A 208x240x480 pri, 400Y/231 sec 51KVA, using 240vac pri, and 400 sec Y config. When you throw the disconnect mounted on the side of transformer it will blow the breaker on the primary. We even hooked the primary direct to a fused disconnect feed with 125 slow blows in it and it knocked out our 200 amp main breaker. This transformer is drawing like up to 9 amps no load also. Odd thing is I have another FP trans that is 75 KVA setting right beside it and it never has blown anything and the highest leg draws a mere 3 amps. Fed Pacific claims nothing wrong I am mystified how one does this and the other one does not.
I suspect there is some kind of problem that should be looked at by a qualified person. I don't see anyway to debug your problem from the Internet. Is the 9 Amps on the secondary or primary side? Is this a new install or has it been working and just started this behaviour?

It is also possible the transformer is fine and the CB is just tripping from startup inrush current. Does it happen every time you power up the transformer?

Last edited:

FOG1

Occupation
Business owner
I suspect there is some kind of problem that should be looked at by a qualified person. I don't see anyway to debug your problem from the Internet. Is the 9 Amps on the secondary or primary side? Is this a new install or has it been working and just started this behaviour?

It is also possible the transformer is fine and the CB is just tripping from startup inrush current. Does it happen every time you power up the transformer?
New install, new transformer, 9 amps on primary side amp load varies per leg with machines disconnect turned off of course. It will blow the breaker several times and finally it holds.

FOG1

Occupation
Business owner
Well I'm not sure if it's because i am new but I cant seem to find how to do an attachment to post the picture of the transformer tag.

FOG1

Occupation
Business owner

FOG1

Occupation
Business owner

I understand the inrush deal but taking out a 200 amp breaker???? And I have a 75kVA same model setting next to it being feed from another 200amp feed and it never blows the 200 amp feed breaker.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I understand the inrush deal but taking out a 200 amp breaker???? And I have a 75kVA same model setting next to it being feed from another 200amp feed and it never blows the 200 amp feed breaker.
the larger xfmr may have a higher impedance leading to less no load current. or there may be something else going on. it is very hard to debug this kind of problem without being there.

have you checked the voltages? is whomever is doing the current measurement using a true rms meter?

does either breaker have an adjustable IT setting?

MTW

Your existing 75 KVA unit may be older and less efficient model that has a lower inrush current.

Newer mandated high efficiency units have a much higher inrush current, as do motors. Fuses can have better holding capabilities on inrush. Breaker is tripping faster, with instentaneous magnetic current.

Status
Not open for further replies.