210.8(F) GFCI Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I say there is no appliance outlet
I can agree that it isn't always clear where the "outlet" is located, but seems pretty clear that NEC says there is one somewhere and it is also pretty clear that it is at least near where premises wiring ends and wiring within the appliance or other load begins.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
At the NFPA there is a Tentative Interim Amendment #19. Go to NFPA's website, 2020 NEC, look at the TIA's, number 19. Outdoor HVAC Equipment. Not GFI. There have been many nuisance trips and the HVAC manufacturers are not ready for this change.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
At the NFPA there is a Tentative Interim Amendment #19. Go to NFPA's website, 2020 NEC, look at the TIA's, number 19. Outdoor HVAC Equipment. Not GFI. There have been many nuisance trips and the HVAC manufacturers are not ready for this change.
I find it interesting the can make a chilled water fountain, refrigerator and a frezzer work yet struggle with a condenser unit.

kwired

Electron manager
But irony is it was outdoor HVAC equipment was the primary target of the code change here.

kwired

Electron manager
I find it interesting the can make a chilled water fountain, refrigerator and a frezzer work yet struggle with a condenser unit.
I think units with variable speed drives are the ones with the most problems, and are a problem with many other appliances as well if they happen to end up on a GFCI protected circuit. I already mentioned washing machines. Another one I ran into more recently was when we were trying to temporarily connect a gas furnace with variable speed blower to a cord and plug until I could get a permanent circuit ran to said furnace. Blower would start but simply would not hold after reaching a certain speed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Part of the issue is the hard wired equipment ...the product standards did (do) not have leakage current requirements for hard wired equipment as the assumption was that any leakage current would be rendered safe by the code required equipment grounding conductor.

That being said, there are issues with some cord and plug connected refrigeration units as the energy standards are pushing more and more of that equipment to have power conversion drives. One of the issues with power conversion drives is high frequency leakage current that can result in a GFCI tripping at less than 5 mA. The Standards Technical Panel for UL 943, voted to not even to look at the issue of high frequency leakage current causing low current GFCI trips, so this issue is far from being solved.

kwired

Electron manager
Part of the issue is the hard wired equipment ...the product standards did (do) not have leakage current requirements for hard wired equipment as the assumption was that any leakage current would be rendered safe by the code required equipment grounding conductor.

That being said, there are issues with some cord and plug connected refrigeration units as the energy standards are pushing more and more of that equipment to have power conversion drives. One of the issues with power conversion drives is high frequency leakage current that can result in a GFCI tripping at less than 5 mA. The Standards Technical Panel for UL 943, voted to not even to look at the issue of high frequency leakage current causing low current GFCI trips, so this issue is far from being solved.
And put all of it together and the installer is the "bad guy" just like for many AFCI issues over the years have been. We are simply doing what we are required to do by code, many don't want to just eliminate the GFCI and resolve the undesired tripping because that opens us up for liability should something happen, and he manufacturers won't do much of anything for us which leaves the customer mad at the installer as he is who they are expecting to fix the issues. Getting a little tired of this game and don't think is fair to play it at my own expense most the time either.

Bill Snyder

NEC expert
Occupation
Electrical Foreman

Especially when leakage current has not been attributed to any deaths that I am aware of and the UL standard will remain at 10ma well beyond the 2026 cycle so calling the manufacturers too cheap to fix their equipment is not an accurate statement made by some.

alexfox1986

Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Thank you for providing more information about the issue you are facing with hard wired equipment and refrigeration units.

It is true that the National Electrical Code (NEC) requires that all electrical equipment be grounded in order to protect against shock hazards. However, it is possible for some equipment to produce leakage currents that may not be detected by ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) because they are not of sufficient magnitude to trip the device. This can be a problem for cord and plug connected refrigeration units that use power conversion drives, which can produce high frequency leakage currents.

As you mentioned, UL 943 is the standard for GFCIs and sets the minimum requirements for ground fault protection. However, the standard does not currently address the issue of high frequency leakage currents causing low current GFCI trips. This is an area of ongoing research and development, and it may take some time before a solution is found.

In the meantime, it is important to work with qualified professionals to ensure that all electrical equipment is properly installed and grounded in accordance with the NEC. Additionally, it may be necessary to use additional protective measures, such as isolation transformers or filters, to address high frequency leakage currents in cord and plug connected refrigeration units.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

As you mentioned, UL 943 is the standard for GFCIs and sets the minimum requirements for ground fault protection. However, the standard does not currently address the issue of high frequency leakage currents causing low current GFCI trips. This is an area of ongoing research and development, and it may take some time before a solution is found.

Not sure how much research and development is going on for this issue as the STP for 943 voted not even to look at the issue.

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you for providing more information about the issue you are facing with hard wired equipment and refrigeration units.

It is true that the National Electrical Code (NEC) requires that all electrical equipment be grounded in order to protect against shock hazards. However, it is possible for some equipment to produce leakage currents that may not be detected by ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) because they are not of sufficient magnitude to trip the device. This can be a problem for cord and plug connected refrigeration units that use power conversion drives, which can produce high frequency leakage currents.

In the meantime, it is important to work with qualified professionals to ensure that all electrical equipment is properly installed and grounded in accordance with the NEC. Additionally, it may be necessary to use additional protective measures, such as isolation transformers or filters, to address high frequency leakage currents in cord and plug connected refrigeration units.
As with other code requirements, particularly AFCI related issues this puts all the problem on the EC's/installers. Code makes a requirement, we have to follow it or we don't pass inspections, manufacturers make products that don't play well with the code required item, user sees this as a problem - the EC should fix it, and at no cost to the user. No manufacturer will reimburse the EC for any his troubles trying to solve the problem. With the
AFCI's maybe they have replaced units with updated ones in some instances but still don't reimburse the EC for any his troubles.

As far as UL 943 addressing high frequency currents that cause trips, I don't think UL943 needs to address it, I think other product standards should require less leakage, particularly anything that is intended to be cord and plug connected and with GFCI's expanding beyond just 15/20 amp 125 volt receptacles more recently, needs to apply to just about everything that is intended to be cord and plug connected anymore. On top of that hard wired items were added in 2020 code as well - and in particular the AC units are a problem. Haven't seen any complaints about submersible well pumps, many those anymore are also on variable speed drives, so technically those should also require GFCI protection when installed at dwelling units, and I bet those don't play well with GFCI either. Hasn't been a problem here yet as we are still on 2017 NEC, not looking forward to all the upcoming problems that will occur when we do move to 2020, or most likely will end up skipping 2020 and go to 2023.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As with other code requirements, particularly AFCI related issues this puts all the problem on the EC's/installers. Code makes a requirement, we have to follow it or we don't pass inspections, manufacturers make products that don't play well with the code required item, user sees this as a problem - the EC should fix it, and at no cost to the user. No manufacturer will reimburse the EC for any his troubles trying to solve the problem. With the
AFCI's maybe they have replaced units with updated ones in some instances but still don't reimburse the EC for any his troubles.

As far as UL 943 addressing high frequency currents that cause trips, I don't think UL943 needs to address it, I think other product standards should require less leakage, particularly anything that is intended to be cord and plug connected and with GFCI's expanding beyond just 15/20 amp 125 volt receptacles more recently, needs to apply to just about everything that is intended to be cord and plug connected anymore. On top of that hard wired items were added in 2020 code as well - and in particular the AC units are a problem. Haven't seen any complaints about submersible well pumps, many those anymore are also on variable speed drives, so technically those should also require GFCI protection when installed at dwelling units, and I bet those don't play well with GFCI either. Hasn't been a problem here yet as we are still on 2017 NEC, not looking forward to all the upcoming problems that will occur when we do move to 2020, or most likely will end up skipping 2020 and go to 2023.
It most certainly does. The STP for 943 was presented with information that shows the GFCI trips below 5 mA with high frequency leakage current...but that STP voted not to look at the issue.

Bill Snyder

NEC expert
Occupation
Electrical Foreman
I like how CMP-2 forgot to tell Tesla that 210.8(F) applies to his equipment when hardwired outdoors.

Attachments

• 315522135_562375592318221_2186616584159142738_n.jpg
    315522135_562375592318221_2186616584159142738_n.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 13

Bill Snyder

NEC expert
Occupation
Electrical Foreman
I don't see how that complies with 210.8(F) which contains the wording: "...the outlet shall be supplied with GFCI protection."

Any integral GFCI protection would be on the load side of the "outlet" and would not comply with this.
110.3(B) would override 210.8(F) CMP-12 says EVSE doesn't connect to an outlet or those instructions would mention 210.8(F)

kwired

Electron manager
110.3(B) would override 210.8(F) CMP-12 says EVSE doesn't connect to an outlet or those instructions would mention 210.8(F)
IMO art 100 definition of "outlet" would override 110.3(B). The logic here which maybe you were using to some degree as well is that everything at the beginning of the document is pretty general and always applies until something that appears later in the document says otherwise.

Art 100 defines "outlet", art 210.8(F) uses this defined term in it's requirement.

yes 110.3(B) kind of can override code, but I think there is a problem if instructions that are included in a listing don't also comply with code. I can see there being gaps of time where the listing standard and code don't always align though, which kind of is the problem here with 210.8(F) and the fact that some equipment doesn't play well with GFCI's, at least at the time 2020 NEC was released.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Nothing written by a manufacture ever eliminates a code requirement. The manufacturer can require additional protections that require more that what the NEC requires, but they cannot eliminate a protection required by the NEC.

When a manufacture says do not connect to GFCI protection, all they are doing is saying you cannot install their product in a location where the NEC requires GFCI protection.
This was added to 110.3(B) in the second revision of the 2023 code, but removed by the CC because informational notes cannot contain a requirement. It is very likely this will reappear in the 2026 as actual code text.
Informational Note No.2: The installation and use instructions may not reduce the requirements in the Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.