2020 GFCI requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Assuming that's for a generator, I would say it's not an outlet as inlet seems to me to be the opposite of outlet.
And, it's not regularly on just sitting there.
If the house was wired for it and no generator was on site, as an inspector, would you assume it was for a generator? The definition of an outlet per Art. 100 is "A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment." Could this meet that definition?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If the house was wired for it and no generator was on site, as an inspector, would you assume it was for a generator? The definition of an outlet per Art. 100 is "A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment." Could this meet that definition?
I think that would depend on what the inlet is connected to. If it's connected directly to a breaker in a panel, and that breaker is interlocked with the only breaker supplying power to that panel in the usual fashion, then, no, you can't use the inlet to take current to supply utilization equipment.

Cheers, Wayne

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I think that would depend on what the inlet is connected to. If it's connected directly to a breaker in a panel, and that breaker is interlocked with the only breaker supplying power to that panel in the usual fashion, then, no, you can't use the inlet to take current to supply utilization equipment.

Cheers, Wayne
Let's say it's new construction and you're doing the finish. The customer wants a 30 amp flanged inlet just outside the garage and there is no interlock device designating it as backfeed operation. If it's not considered an outlet, (which I don't know the answer) would you need to protect it with a 30 amp GFCI OCD?

retirede

Agreed, but it doesn't say GFCI. So that "listed system" may not qualify as a GFCI. I haven't checked the UL listing standard for EVSEs to see what it says.

Cheers, Wayne

Yeah, that’s why I quoted verbatim. I don’t know what the reason is for that wording, or why they didn’t just say “GFCI”?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Yeah, that’s why I quoted verbatim. I don’t know what the reason is for that wording, or why they didn’t just say “GFCI”?
Well, there's apparently a whole UL standard on what listed systems are allowed, UL 2231-1 and 2231-2. Some very close to a GFCI is one option, but there are others.

Cheers, Wayne

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just had a thought.
The wall connector is designed for variable circuit sizes from 15-60 amps like many other EVSEs.
What if we set it up with a 60 amp circuit so that we don't have to GFCI protect it and then adjust the wall connector down to the 40 amp circuit the load calculation allows for.

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Let's say it's new construction and you're doing the finish. The customer wants a 30 amp flanged inlet just outside the garage and there is no interlock device designating it as backfeed operation. If it's not considered an outlet, (which I don't know the answer) would you need to protect it with a 30 amp GFCI OCD?
A flanged inlet has male prongs sticking out of it.
I don't think an inspector is going to let that pass if it wasn't for a generator with some sort of interlock device.
When turned on from any breaker, that's going to leave live prongs exposed to electrocute someone at 240 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.