15A Receptacles On 20A Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke warmwater

Re: 15A Receptacles On 20A Circuits

Wayne,
thanx, but that wasn't it. I already have AA6.0 on my machine. I think the site was running slow at that time or something else because now it works fine.

Allen,
I can't agree with you on the 3' wall in a kitchen. I could see plenty of need for such an outlet, and I would always include one in that area.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Posted by Charlie:

I would run a 20 ampere small appliance branch circuit, install a single 15 ampere duplex receptacle, and wish it well.
If I understand your post right, that would be a single receptacle on a branch circuit. But a single 15A receptacle isn't allowed on a 20A circuit. 210.21(B)(1)

Steve

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Steve, a duplex would be two receptacle outlets for this application.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

You're welcome Charlie. :)

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I wondered if I was missing something, but it sounded very simple :) I knew a duplex counted as two receptacles for hospital beds. I'm not sure why I didn't pick up on the same thing for a "single receptacle" under branch circuits.

Thanks for the correction :)

STeve

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Steve, you would have caught it yourself after some thought. :cool:

Roger

bajan

there is a situation to consider which is the fact that these appliances are not only used in the USA. Outside there are different frequencies and voltages as well as different temperatures and all this has to be taken into account.

noxx

Originally posted by charlie:
The following question was asked at an Indiana Chapter of the IAEI meeting and this was my answer. This was answered with the help of UL. :D

66. Does the NEC permit the installation of a 15-ampere rated duplex receptacle on a 20-ampere separate circuit for a microwave oven with a nameplate rating of 13 amperes? The microwave oven is factory equipped with a 15-ampere cord cap.

The above microwave meets the requirements of the Indiana Electrical Code since it is a listed appliance. I would run a 20 ampere small appliance branch circuit, install a single 15 ampere duplex receptacle, and wish it well. UL has listed this appliance for use on a 15 ampere circuit since is will be used in a non-continuous manner. The cord, plug, receptacle, etc. has been listed for a full 15 amperes of non-continuous use. Therefore, this is not a hazard. This same line of reasoning is used for the high wattage hair dryers.
210.21B2 seems to disallow this pretty clearly, as a duplex recep is "two or more recpetacles" it "shall not supply" a total load in excess of 12A.

charlie

A microwave is a portable device. Who is to say that mommy will not plug it in somewhere else? IMO (certainly not Code), the items that are portable, such as a microwave, should not be considered when it is installed. The SA circuits will handle the short time load.

It is also my opinion that the Code should generally not attempt to jump out of the wall and try to protect things that are not permanent or not part of the building wiring system. The small appliance cords and extension cords were removed from Article 240 in the 2005 Edition for that very reason. :D

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Charlie:

I can't completely agree. If there is a niche in the kitchen cabinets the right size for a microwave, it is pretty likely that a microwave will be installed there. The architects plans may even show a microwave in that location. In that case, I think the outlet should be suitable for a microwave.

The logic about appliances being portable could also be applied to the laundry branch circuit. So why require a laundry circuit when the homeowner may install the washer and dryer somewhere else? Yet the code requires a laundry circuit. And if outlets and space are provided somewhere, that's probably where the washer and dryer will be located.

Steve

charlie

I think there is a vast difference between the dryer or a range and a microwave. Also, this is my personal opinion, not Code. Given time, both may change. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.