Zip ties as support for LFMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, as long as you are not tying the LFMC to another conduit, which is prohibited, as you probably know, and as long as those zip ties are listed to support it.
Ok, in reality, I have never seen zip ties listed to support LFMC, but be prepared to defend your position against the inspector or whomever represents the AHJ, if they call you out on it.
I hope to goodness that your AHJ is not so nitpicky, but you never know.

jumper

May you use zip ties to support LFMC. What is code article?

Maybe.

350.30 Securing and Supporting. LFMC shall be securely
fastened in place and supported in accordance with
350.30(A) and (B).
(A) Securely Fastened. LFMC shall be securely fastened
in place by an approved means within 300 mm (12 in.) of
each box, cabinet, conduit body, or other conduit termination
and shall be supported and secured at intervals not to
exceed 1.4 m (41?2 ft).
Approved. Acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the zip ties happen to be listed for that use, any AHJ is much more likely to approve them.
The words left totally ambiguous in all these variations are "recognized" and "accepted."
Clearly "acceptable" as part of "approved" is unequivocally left up to the AHJ. :)

Last edited:
I stand corrected on the "listed" part.
I could have sworn I remember it saying "listed", but apparently, it's "approved".
One way or the other, it has to satisfy the taste of your AHJ :)
And probably for a good reason -- if used outside, at the very least those ties should be weather and UV-resistant.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

Does the word "approved" refer to the strap/device/equipment... etc or it is referred to "AHJ must approve the device/strap/equipment?

I don't know but my understand is if the zip tie is approved to hold pieces together then it is ok to use it as a strap. For example electrical tape is not approved hardware to be used as a strap.

Does the word "approved" refer to the strap/device/equipment... etc or it is referred to "AHJ must approve the device/strap/equipment?

I don't know but my understand is if the zip tie is approved to hold pieces together then it is ok to use it as a strap. For example electrical tape is not approved hardware to be used as a strap.

"Approved. Acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction."
The AHJ must say that it's OK to use.
As opposed to "Listed" where the manufacturer and subsequently a certifying body such as UL says that a given piece of hardware is OK to use for the purpose.

iwire

Staff member
Even UV-resistant nylon zip ties will fail in short order (within a few years) if installed in a location where they are exposed to direct sunlight.

If you buy crap they will fail. On the other hand if you buy quality ones they will last as long as the insulation.

Consider the millions of tie wraps the cable and phone companies use for outside distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.