Zero export system without interconnection agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
But when you do that you are participating in the market and selling your PV production at the market rate. The fact that you are in effect selling it to yourself is not relevant. The utilities contend that the entire grid is under their jurisdiction, even the part of it that is on the customer's side of the meter, and if you are feeding it you must do so according to their rules.

Once again, I am not commenting on rightness or wrongness; it's just the way things are.
If PV ever becomes a serious thing, the utilities are going to have to take control of who is allowed to generate electricity into the grid and when, just as they can for all other providers. A lot of people are not going to like when the utility turns their power off but takes the juice their PV system is generating.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
One of the issues that we have here is that people are used to buying electricity by quantity not availability. Because we are used to it, it seems perfectly reasonable that if I use 1/10 the kWh I should pay 1/10 the amount. However this misses the reality that electricity _service_ includes both the stuff delivered (the kWh) _and_ the delivery system (having those kW available when I want them).

If I have a true guaranteed absolute zero export PV system, I might still impact the grid as a whole in the same way as if the PV system were installed on my neighbor's property. In one case there is no accounting because power is flowing from PV source to load on my property behind the meter, in the other case the power flows through two meters. But the variable load as seen by the grid is the same.

So I can understand why the utility has reason to know about (and possibly charge for) production that is always 'behind my meter'.

If the utility tries to make me _pay_ for kWh that I am making and using on my property, then sounds tremendously unfair.

If the utility charges me the same amount for making capacity available to me that I am not using because I have PV, that sounds much more fair. Or if the utility charges me more per kWh because my consumption is now more variable and in particular my consumption is higher when grid PV is not available, that sounds more fair.

-Jon

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Aren't we talking about zero export?

If the system is grid tied, even if it guarantees zero export of kWh, it is still putting a PV variable load on the grid.

If you have a PV system tied to a bitcoin mining rig; running hashes when the sun shines and doing nothing in the dark, then your PV system doesn't affect the grid.

If you have a PV system DC tied to an air conditioner, where PV reduces consumption when the sun is shining, then the utility sees my air conditioner load with added PV variability.

-Jon

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
So for AE, I think I object to the idea that during an outage, you can't use your PV to charge your ESS. That would be a resiliency fail for an extended outage. Do they allow a configuration that would enable that? E.g. a consumption meter behind the MID, in lieu of a PV meter? Since consumption = net grid + PV, it's enough to meter any 2 of those.

Cheers, Wayne
Actually it isn't AE's rules that dictate that PV has to be on a completely separate service; that's another AHJ in a nearby area. But anyway, as far as I know in that jurisdiction a battery backup system and a PV system cannot touch the same service conductors. There is one caveat, however; those rules are for residential systems and I have been strictly commercial (cue Frank Zappa) for the past three years or so, so the rules and regs for that AHJ could have changed. For AE, though, the rules are currently as I have described them.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Under what assumptions? If a grid outage lasts one hour, how much energy would a reasonably sized PV system produce during that time, even considering a net metering scenario where the system owner receives full retail credit for it? What would be the value of that energy, even if the outage were in the most productive part of the day? Pennies.
We're not talking about an hour, and we're not talking about a market value for having power in a long outage. We're talking about the 'public saftey power shutdowns' around here that can last days in fire season. We're talking perhaps about post hurricane scenarios in other parts of the country, having power and not needing gas.

Had a customer whose service drop was taken out by a falling tree and the utility wouldn't hook them back up without a city permit signed off, which took four days. They used about 2.5 times their battery capacity during that time. You bet they were glad the solar wasn't required to be on a different meter. We have multiple customers who've gone through longer-than-24-hour outages.

ggunn

Occupation
If the utility tries to make me _pay_ for kWh that I am making and using on my property, then sounds tremendously unfair.
In AE's system you do indeed pay the utility for energy you consume that you produce, but the utility buys the energy you and everyone else produces at what they consider a fair market value. The fact that everyone receives the same return on their investment, dollar and Watt, is what they consider to be fair.

What you or I consider to be fair is not relevant. I will only add that it does seem fairer to me than the rules pertinent to interconnected PV systems in many other jurisdictions.

jaggedben

Occupation

If the utility charges me the same amount for making capacity available to me that I am not using because I have PV, that sounds much more fair.

When it comes right down to it, there's no real difference between these two things. But the utility has to provide intermittently used capacity for every customer. Why should standby charges only apply to solar customers? Probably we should be shifting to demand charges and higher minimum bills for residential customers, but for all customers. The demand charges for customers with solar+battery will usually be very different than for those with solar only, so any standby charge shouldn't be based on the size of a solar system.

Or if the utility charges me more per kWh because my consumption is now more variable and in particular my consumption is higher when grid PV is not available, that sounds more fair.

-Jon
This should be dealt with via appropriate time of use schedules, again applicable to everyone not just solar owners.

ggunn

Occupation
We're not talking about an hour, and we're not talking about a market value for having power in a long outage. We're talking about the 'public saftey power shutdowns' around here that can last days in fire season. We're talking perhaps about post hurricane scenarios in other parts of the country, having power and not needing gas.

Had a customer whose service drop was taken out by a falling tree and the utility wouldn't hook them back up without a city permit signed off, which took four days. They used about 2.5 times their battery capacity during that time. You bet they were glad the solar wasn't required to be on a different meter. We have multiple customers who've gone through longer-than-24-hour outages.
Of course the calculation is different for different situations, but for the typical urban resident with a dependable grid the numbers do not usually come out that way. For me, the Snowpocalypse last February was an outlier; for the 10-15 years prior to that the grid had been down for maybe 3-4 hours total. Again, for me and for most other citizens of Austin, a battery backup system doesn't make much sense economically, and the PV contribution to my bottom line were it to run during outages would be way way down in the noise.

jaggedben

Occupation
Of course the calculation is different for different situations, but for the typical urban resident with a dependable grid the numbers do not usually come out that way. For me, the Snowpocalypse last February was an outlier; for the 10-15 years prior to that the grid had been down for maybe 3-4 hours total. Again, for me and for most other citizens of Austin, a battery backup system doesn't make much sense economically, and the PV contribution to my bottom line were it to run during outages would be way way down in the noise.
The customers I mentioned are in typical suburban areas. And it's not the grid per se that isn't dependable around here, it's the distribution wires.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
if you are going to have a PV system connected to the grid you have to conform to the rules of the AHJ.
The OP is talking about a cord and plug connected zero export system, probably less than 1kw, AHJ usually is not concerned with such things.
I seriously doubt a POCO has the manpower to send someone around looking for such things.

ggunn

Occupation
The customers I mentioned are in typical suburban areas. And it's not the grid per se that isn't dependable around here, it's the distribution wires.
I agree that the calculus is different for every customer.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I could see having a DC island system,
similar to the old off grid systems, based around a custom lithium battery bank and the only thing connected to the grid is a 240v charger.
Then there is zero chance of export.

jaggedben

Occupation
I could see having a DC island system,
similar to the old off grid systems, based around a custom lithium battery bank and the only thing connected to the grid is a 240v charger.
Then there is zero chance of export.
Yeah but realistically you can get close enough with an MID that connects only when batteries need to charge from grid. Not 'zero chance' because more dependent on controls. But doable.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
and at the end of those 7-9 years how many components will be near due for replacement?
Knees, eyes, ears ... :) But you meant the solar generation system. I have a microinverter system with Enphase 215s. It's been 7.5 years now, and the only problem I've had is the vacuum cleaner knocking the Cat5 out of the internet connection. Obviously to me, the long warrantee is a joke since it is hardware only and getting someone up there to replace something is far more $$ than it would be worth. Zero maintenance SO FAR. There is no practical way to wash them if they needed it.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Normal anti-islanding protection in the grid interactive inverter should prevent the inverter from backfeeding the GFCI when the grid is down.
What happens in the fractions of a second when the GFCI is opening may or may not be capable of damaging the GFCI electronics.
This is why GFID are not listed for back feed. They may be damaged if they operate with power applied to the load side. That damage may still allow the device to be reset. The GFID electronics may no longer be functioning and open the circuit on a low current ground fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.