Z?N System

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Anybody have any experience with the ZON Whole House Audio System? I think it's pretty high-end, I've seen it and used it but never installed it. I was curious to see how others thought it compared to other systems. :)

:)

Some propaganda can be found here.

One nice feature, it uses Cat-5 to communicate between "ZAC" controllers, so roping for it seems pretty straightforward.

I hear it's real pricey though. :)

sparky_magoo

Re: Z?N System

IMO the only high end system worth installing for an audiophile client is McIntosh. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the ZON (I don't know how to make eyeballs over the O), but it has far superior sound. McIntosh systems also have 100% customer satisfaction. I have been installing McIntosh central stereo systems since the early eighties. I have never had a disatisfied customer.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Matt, thanks for the link, I'll wander over there. I glanced at it but have to get going.

Magoo, do you have a link for the McIntosh audio system? I went to their site at www.mcintoshlabs.com or something like that, after a google search. I didn't find anything describing how it operates, or what it looks like. I downloaded a manual, thinking they'd explain that, but I guess it wasn't the right one. :roll:

bensonelectric

I like thier digital music server. The ability to stream lossless audio around your house is a big plus. I figure if you are going to spend that much money on high-end amplifiers, distrobution systems ect you better have something of better quality than an MP3 to stream around.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Matt, do they have in-wall residential style volume controls to convert the CAT-5 signal to analog? Can you change sources with it?

Magoo, same questions. :D

Each room with a ZON controller can change sources, so you can either listen to the receiver in the master bedroom, or another receiver in a different room.

(It also works as an intercom/baby monitor/"What are the kids talking about" system too, but I don't think that has a whole lot of people would want to pay extra for those features.)

How much are the components for each of the systems you guys are talking about? Do the systems convert to Cat-5 immediately from the receiver point (as ZON does), or is it analog down to the structured wiring panel?

luke warmwater

George,
the HEAR system is really not designed to be used as a residential intercom/music system.

My buddy sells the systems, and as far as I know, there is no in-wall style volume control.

sparky_magoo

A home theater was at the house I am wiring last week. He is an authorized ZON dealer. The cat5 cable from the server goes to a controller/amplifier mounted in a switch box in each zone. This controller is powered by the cat5 cable. The speakers wire directly to the sixty watt amplifier in the wall. The dealer said the sound from those little amplifiers isn't very good. He also said he has had a lot of service problems with installed systems. In his opinion, the technology was too new and ZON will probably be a good system in a few years.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I noticed some distortion when it was cranked. But then again, I had Korn in the DVD player, I assumed it to be a rather arduous test for a whole-house 'Muzak' system. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Magoo,

Holy incredibly difficult to follow owners manual Batman! :eek:

For all the whistles and bells, you get two zones? Can you have one of the 20-button controllers in more than one bedroom? :confused:

sparky_magoo

George, I was referring to the LV guy's opinion of the ZAC-60 remote/amplifier. In his opinion, the audio quality of the ZAC-60 was weak. Please excuse
my misuse of the word zone.

He also stated that the IR interface to other components was excellent, although harder to accomplish than the manual implies. His installed systems have required multiple down-line loads of new operating systems from the manufacturer to correct software bugs.

Bear in mind, this is all hear-say from a guy who is pimping out a house I am wiring. He has the best reputation in my county. He was also talking to the HO about a ZON system, while explaining its present shortcomings.

Status
Not open for further replies.