Yea ... Sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre

As some of you here know, I have closed my contracting business and started a 'legitimate' inspection company(I also have an electrical training business).
The other day I went to a roughing inspection and the contractor was pulling THHN through the wood studs for undercabinet lighting. I told him that it is not permitted. He said it had always passed inspection before... I believe him as I do not think he would try to install it if he had not passed inspection before. I showed him Art 411 and he was amazed... kind of sad that he has installed this many times before and now does not understand why I have to enforce this. At first he thought since I was new to inspections that I was confused :( .

So now that our company is inspecting to code, it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Pierre

bphgravity

Re: Yea ... Sure.

Hello Pierre,

I am also currently going through a change in career direction, so I can understand your excitement! Congrats on your accomplishment.

I actually had the exact opposite happen with me when I first opened my contracting business in my town. For whatever reason, some of the local inspectors tried to test me out a bit to see how much I really knew and how qualified I actually was. It wasn't mean-spirited in any way, just a little uncomfortable and confrontational.

Time made all things right. Once the inspectors saw my workmanship and complete adherence to the code, we developed a really good working relationship. I suspect this will happen for you as well. The electrical contractors and community in whole will eventually come to appreciate the high quality of ispections and in effect the higher quality of work that will result.

Just think, the electrician you described above will never use that wiring method again for that particular installation. He will instruct his fellow employees or workers of the correct method, which in return will inform their helpers and new employees, and so on, and so on. Who knows how many future electricians will learn the proper method as a result of just one of you inspections. Thats a great thing. :cool:

bphgravity

Hello Pierre,

Building construction is going crazy here in SW Florida. The local building department is handling over 300 new home starts a month!

I try to get an article in for every edition. I miss one every once and awhile. Tom is a real good guy and has done some really great things for the electrical industry. Have you ever had a chance to meet him? Take care. :D

Hey Ryan,

I am actually considering a position with the local building department as an electrical inspector. (As scary as that may be for some on this forum) I recently obtained combination certification and as stated above, the county is slammed with inspections. :cool:

G

Pierre, are you doing muni inspections or are you doing QC inspections or resale inspections? Who pays for the inspection? Who orders the inspection?

Status
Not open for further replies.