X-10 Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC1302

A local agency donated some X-10 products for a disabled teacher to use in her classroom. I do not see that they are listed for 277v, which is what the classroom lighting is. Called tech support, and I don't think he knew any more than I did. Any scoop on what is actually needed, or if this will work in this application? I have XPS3's in-hand. I only find a reference to 120v applications. Thanks

Last edited:

sgunsel

I use X-10s for some Christmas lights. Not overly reliable, but good enough for my use. Mine are all labled 120 VAC. Lighting modules are dimmable (for incandescent only) and appliance modules use a relay. You also need a controller or a computer adapter to make them work.

There must be 120 VAC receptacles in the classroom. You could use them with portable lamps plugged into the receptacles for demonstation purposes. I would not use X-10 for permanently installed room lighting even if they are rated for the voltage. They are cheap DIY home automation products, reasonably fun to play with, but probably not much of a bargain even if free.

dhalleron

Not sure if they will work on 277. I do know they are not designed to work with fluorescent lighting. They are for incandescent only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.