Written estimates for Real State

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtn_elec

How much would you charge for a written estimate?
Real state people usually after inspections find some electrical work to be done in a house, to know how much this will cost to the owner to fix it or to the new owner to deduct from the price. Then they call us, well they called me 3 times already. i haven't done any of those jobs I gave the estimate for, but they use my price to make their own arrangement and sell the house, and I did not get any honey!! How much would you charge for this?

coppertreeelectric

Re: Written estimates for Real State

We do not charge for estimates unless we give one and then they ask for changes in the estimate. If that is the case we may charge $175 for each new estimate after the first has been provided to the customer.

The customer should make it clear from the beginning exactly what they want done, I just ask over and over "Are you sure that's everything" before I build the estimate.

I hope this helps, Steve

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I've been through this also with potential buyers and real estate people. They want you to go through every electrical item in their inspection report, make a physical inspection of that list and give them an estimate to fix it all. Then they use your price to negotiate with the seller. I always tell them up front that there is a $200 charge for this that is refundable if the work gets done. Some will go elsewhere for a sucker to estimate the work for free. I gave up being that guy years ago.

mtn_elec

"Some will go elsewhere for a sucker to estimate the work for free. I gave up being that guy years ago"
It seems that sucker has been me. But today is my last day!!! Thank You Forum for waking me up.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I didn't mean to imply that anyone on this thread is a sucker, I was just saying that I've learned from experience. Real estate agents get paid large sums of money for a sale so a few hundred dollars to save the deal could be in their best interest. They don't work for free so why should we!

active1

I learned my lesson on this. I would get calls wanting a written estimate for real estate sales. Sometimes they try to mislead you about what is going on. The tip off is they allways need a price on GFI's installed, a double taped breaker, an over sized breaker, & a few things they don't under stand or can't read off the report.

To set up an appointment can many calls back and forth because the buyers need access to the home and want to go with the agent. Many have canceled and wanted to rescedule so every one can be there.

Many time all they want is a number to negociate with. Very few of these turn into work. The work I do get tends to be <$200.

One time I was selling my home. I had a GC/roofer I bid out some prints in the past for free. Never did any jobs for him. I called him & asked for a estomate on roof work. He said sorry got to charge you $75 because most home sale estomates are a WOT. He was right because I had no intention of doing any work.

Another time the customer needed a new service & some little things. Gave them a price on the panel & did the small things. Turned out the HO lied & said I fixed everything. Had to straiten that out with the attornies.

Unless they are established customers no free estomates on this work for me.

Tom

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I suspect most of the time very little on the inspection report is ever fixed. Your estimate is being used to get the seller to drop his price, and the work is rarely ever done.

Maybe your best bet would be to ask the RE agent to fax over the inspection report and base your estimate off that with wide profit margins and strictly defined work.

That way you spend little time estimating and if you ever get one of these jobs, it is gravy.

Don't let these weasels use you as a negotiating tactic with the seller.

OTOH, if you have agood relationship with a RE agent, and they only call you when there is a good chance of getting some work (or can tell you if there is), than maybe you give them a more realistic estimate.

If you don't feel you can do this for free, than i like the idea of a charge for the estimate applied to the bill if they buy. That's fair.

mdshunk

This entire thread puzzles me, since this has not been my experience with real estate agents at all. Real estate agents have been a reasonably steady source of work for me. I have several that more of less tell the sellers that they need to have XYZ done to the house in order to properly market it... and oh, by the way, ACME Electric is recommended. Even on occasions where I bid and I know it's just so that they can negotiate the price of the house, I have an office girl follow up and find out who bought the place and I make a sales call. The new buyer never knows who actually provided the electrical estimates for that price negotiation, and they are pleased that I am already famaliar with their new house. On average, 2 in 10 of these bullcrap turn into nice work this way. There's tons of work out there, you just have to go out and get it.

celtic

Once again...mtn just saved me some aggrivation (I.O.U.)...I was "planning" on giving flyers to ALL the local REAs.

mtn, sorry to hear they give you the shoulder after you give them an estimate (3x, no less!). That borders on "abuse" - you were willing to do it for free, now they "expect" it.

infinity is onto something here...
"I always tell them up front that there is a $200 charge for this that is refundable if the work gets done"
...and rightfully so....BUT, I don't know the ramifications of performing and inspection, then offering services. This might be viewed as a "conflict of interest". I recall that a HI cannot perform work at a home inspected for a period of 1 year after the inspection - I don't have a specific link/law to support this recollection. I do know that my REA (who's husband is an EC) calls ME to do the neccessary items for many CCOs - having her hubby do it would, again, be a conflict of interest.

I will have to look into the whole inspection angle - an auto mechanic can "inspect" your car - while performing other services for a fee - and offer new brakes, is our trade any different?

apauling

my experience is that the reality of getting the job after the estimate is very questionable. I basically called it an inspection and gave most of the charge back if the work was requested.

a friend however, that always charged more than me, got quite a bit of work from them. but the ladies did like his looks.

the trickest truck, or best buns for the ladies, often gets the job without competition, so (if you look like me) cover your time by making the inspection the job. You are not only saying what is the estimate, you are itemizing the whole biz for them. If you want to bid, just bid, no specific items, with a generic "to code", "to repair hazards" or whatever. Include statement as to which hidden, unknown, previous uninspected work items are not covered and make sure that is clear.

Termite inspections cost. If you itemize, that is what you are doing; you are not only the inspector, you're the GC and EC.

On the other hand, if they started calling you back, ...but they haven't.

paul

bradleyelectric

I have had experiences both ways with real estate agents. Enough has come in money wise that I'll do it for an agent that I don't know to give it a chance. I just had a lighting job from a new home owner that I did a service change for for the seller. There are agents that have used me as a pawn, and I'm to busy for that. I give free estimates, but not without hope of getting a job. If an agent has a practice of just using my number to negotiate a deal, I don't have the time. If I was looking for work, I'd send flyers to the agents. I'd rather have the prospect of work, than sitting home wandering if I'll be able to pay the morgage. The more you market, the more you will find what works in your area. When I do a home inspectors honey do list, I write specifically on the invoice what work was purformed. I am full aware that must real estate agents don't look at what is on the paper, just that a licensed contractor did the work, not if the lists match. If someone contracts me to do a service change, but not remove aluminum wire, that is my contract and I put "upgrade service from 100a to 200a". If anyone would ask me at that point if I did any other work, I did only what I invoiced for.

[ May 27, 2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: bradleyelectric ]

Status
Not open for further replies.