Would you bond this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

Please_bond_me.JPG

websparky

Re: Would you bond this?

Hi Ryan,

This looks like a different type of install....
is it?

What in particular are you asking about?

Do you mean the motor?

More hints please!

ryan_618

Thanks Bob...I guess you know where I stand on the issue!

Dave: I mean a bonding jumper from the tub motor, the metal piping, and the fireplace, although not required by 680.74.

As far as your other question goes, I actually see this once in a while, like maybe 5% of the houses I look at.

bphgravity

I am working on an underwater toaster for those on the go that want to eat and shower at the same time. You think I will get it UL listed? ;)

iwire

Staff member

They already make a shower karaoke machine so why not? (batteries)

How is the waterproof toast coming? :D

websparky

Ryan,

A fireplace! I never would have guessed.

I have yet to see this set-up 'round these parts!

I guess I'm not hip to all these modern design ideas. A whirlpool tub next to a picture window and a fireplace at one end.........what will they think of next? :confused:

ryan_618

Originally posted by iwire:
I don't know Dave but I am thinking of becoming a landscaper out there. ;)
I'll show you some pics that will change your mind. Where I inspect we are on the mountain side. You should see what the landscapers have to come up with here.

brentp

Being that the pump motor circuit is "likely to energize" the piping and fireplace, the pump motor branch circuit egc should suffice. Right??? And let's not forget that should the pump have an attachment cord, the grd prong is a perfectly good bonding jumper. AND don't forget that the interior water pipe is already bonded per code. :p

[ April 22, 2004, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: brentp ]

hurk27

I just got to ask one question!
What happens to the glass on the front of that fire place after it gets hot and then get's hit with a splash of water :eek: ????

What i'm asking is will it shatter? :eek:

bennie

Esteemed Member

Is this a gas fired fireplace? The bald headed GFCI is likely for the pump motor. Most top of the line pump motors are double insulated and do not require bonding to anything, any where, at any time. It is a violation to bond them.

The plumbing should be plastic for safety purposes.

You will not get shocked holding a hot wire while taking a bath in the fibreglass tub.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bennie:
The plumbing should be plastic for safety purposes.
I agree that makes great sense. :)

But I certainly do not want to count on that.

I have cast iron pipe right up to my tub drain and copper right up to the faucets. ;)

wrestless

Nice idea How about that GFI I see 1 ft from the Hydromassage tub is this a violation? Did the Building Dept actually approve this ? Seems like
an accident waiting to happen you know someone stands up in tub after a few drinks and falls into the fireplace. If you have to bond fireplace
than do you have to bond the window if steel frame
(Think Hydromassage Tub)

Status
Not open for further replies.