Working space / Doors

masterihnen

Occupation
electrical designer
I have reviewed the 2023 NEC 110.26 code as much as possible. I have been told (in the past also) that since our projects electrical room has a 2000A gear that we need (as code specifies) 2 doors exiting the electrical room, both with panic hardware. But I have also been told that 1 of the doors needs to be a double door. For the life of me, I cannot find specific code references (in NEC, NFPA, etc) saying that we specifically need double doors (compared to a single with panic). This has come up more than once in my experience.

TLDR: is there a code reference for double doors in ANY code for electrical rooms (where it would apply)?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Is someone anticipating the need for wider doors to bring in replacement equipment? Although if the double door has a central pillar it pretty much removes the advantage of a double door!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Is someone anticipating the need for wider doors to bring in replacement equipment? Although if the double door has a central pillar it pretty much removes the advantage of a double door!
But this would be a design decision not a code requirement.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
True, but "local tradition" and AHJ preferences seem to become "Code Requirements..." Who has been claiming you need a double-door?
Local tradition is still a design choice, while AHJ preferences are requirements.
Remember, very few inspectors are the AHJ.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have reviewed the 2023 NEC 110.26 code as much as possible. I have been told (in the past also) that since our projects electrical room has a 2000A gear that we need (as code specifies) 2 doors exiting the electrical room, both with panic hardware. But I have also been told that 1 of the doors needs to be a double door. For the life of me, I cannot find specific code references (in NEC, NFPA, etc) saying that we specifically need double doors (compared to a single with panic). This has come up more than once in my experience.

TLDR: is there a code reference for double doors in ANY code for electrical rooms (where it would apply)?

No.
Ask him for the code reference

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The code says you need two means of entry and egress from the working space. They don't even have to be exits from the electrical room (though it might be tricky to make that work). The code also gives us the minimum width of any door you use for this purpose. Nothing in the code requires a double door.

Carultch

It's an easy rule to misunderstand about the need for "2 ways out", when it comes to large equipment >6 ft and >1200A.

It's not just 2 doors, or 2 ways out in general, but the code rule requires that you have two directions to exit the working space of that particular piece of equipment, or a clear and unobstructed exit path behind you. The underlying idea is that we don't want a worker to forget which way to run away from danger, run the wrong way by pure bad luck, and then get trapped at a dead-end. It's OK for both paths to ultimately lead to the same door, as long as you either have two paths out of the working space, or double the working space.

masterihnen

Occupation
electrical designer
Maintainence and replacement seems to be the answer to my question based on confirmation of understanding of the situation.
They want the double doors to make sure they can still build and maintain equipment easily (the room containing a 2000A gear)

I do agree with other posters in that its a design choice.