Working Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

websparky

Re: Working Hot

Just my two cents.

Jim is right as far as residential electrical work goes. This seems to be the norm.

As an added note, when the residential guys do get schooling or want to get schooling they show up at the door step of the commercial contractor.

Many a commercial electrician got their start in the residential rat race!

brian john

For my two cents, I like to see men that take courses on their own, this shows get up and go. But few take this avenue, but if you offer courses and the wages to keep a better trained man with you, normally he will stay and both parties benefit from the education. If the man leaves (and I only had this happen once) I say if he can better his-self (less hours, more money, better beni's, ect) who am I to stand in his/her way.

I took courses on my own, as well as an ABC apprenticeship. The firm I worked for had us pay up front for the apprenticship courses and re-imbursed us at years end. This did not bother me, though I know quite a few fellows that complained. One thing about education is it won't damage your brain.

Without trying to sound to cold; employee's are like one's tools, invest in cheap tools and you get what you pay for, they will work for a while, but damn sure when you need them most they'll break.

As for safety training, our insurance company offers safety classes twice a year, and several of the tool suppliers offer safety classes as well as NECA, these are all free, hard to beat that price.

[ January 02, 2004, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: brian john ]

wattey

Aye it sounds like Jim gets exactly what he needs from his men. Fair play to him. He knows what he can afford to pay and for what work. For him to encourage one of his men to take better training is redundant, he loses a man because he'll end up with a better trained worker who demands a higher wage. One Jim cant/wont pay because he needs an Installer ... not an Electrician.

As long as the workers get the correct training for the job they are doing, Basic Electrical / safety then there really is no issue. Like Jim says ... he'll happily hire the guy you just trained ... thats the nature of business. I stayed at my company for 11 years until I took what I consider to be a wrong career move to management. They trained me and paid me pretty well so I stayed. Known quantity and all that. As soon as I felt abused I walked. All of Jims men have the same option I guess.

He wont encourage them to get Journeymen or Masters because as he says ... he needs Indians not chiefs.

I'm still assuming they get the basic training they need for the job they are doing (safety/basic Electrical) ... Jim?

Shaine~

jimwalker

of course.
Keep in mind that these guys will never have anything hot to work on.They hire top men to go in and make it all work.Maybe 2 hours per house

Status
Not open for further replies.