Wooden stud bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard of a requirement for bushings where romex passes through wooden studs, rafters or joist? I was told recently an electrical inspector required a bushing where NMC run through these areas. I can't find anything in the code stating that.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The article section would be 300.4(A)(1), but that is only if the proper distance from the face of the stud cannot be provided.

Roger

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Are you sure the inspector is not asking for the metallic protective plate?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Bushing aand steel plate are 2 different animals so make sure of what the inspector speaks.
Code actually says "a steel plate(s) or bushing(s)"... and I think the latter is intended to read "a steel bushing(s)".

A steel plate is commonly sold for "notchers", but I have not seen any commonly sold for "borers" because they usually bore in the middle and avoid the necessity. However, to meet the requirement if necessary, a rigid steel nipple could be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As Smart says, the article section says "steel plate(s) or bushing(s),"

Where this distance cannot be maintained, the cable or raceway shall
be protected from penetration by screws or nails by a steel plate(s) or bushing(s),
at least 1.6 mm (1⁄16 in.) thick, and of appropriate length and width

installed to cover the area of the wiring

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is commonly used whjen you drill a hole that is less than 1 1/4" in wood studs I have never seen anyone use a bushing in this type of install

031107671800lg.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is commonly used whjen you drill a hole that is less than 1 1/4" in wood studs I have never seen anyone use a bushing in this type of install

031107671800lg.jpg

Dennis, I apologize, somehow I inadvertently edited your post when I meant to quote

I agree with you but it appears as though the OP's inspector is on a bushing kick.

Roger

Pizza

Tell the inspector your not using a knob and tube method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFletcher

You do not need bushings for NM cable thru wooden studs. Period. The inspector is wrong or perhaps he's thinking nail plates where bored holes are <1.25" from the stud face.

The code section is 300.4(A)(1)

If it were metal stud, he'd be correct in requiring something like this.

Code actually says "a steel plate(s) or bushing(s)"... and I think the latter is intended to read "a steel bushing(s)".

A steel plate is commonly sold for "notchers", but I have not seen any commonly sold for "borers" because they usually bore in the middle and avoid the necessity. However, to meet the requirement if necessary, a rigid steel nipple could be used.

Put up about a hundred nail plates today... it's pretty impossible to drill thru 3+ studs dead even, especially when a 4th/5th stud is just inches away on either side. Blind corners too.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You do not need bushings for NM cable thru wooden studs. Period.
The code section is 300.4(A)(1)
Not according to 300.4(A)(1), bushings can be used in place of nail plates.

Where the inspector would be wrong is if he in fact says bushings are the only option.

Roger

JFletcher

Not according to 300.4(A)(1), bushings can be used in place of nail plates.

Where the inspector would be wrong is if he in fact says bushings are the only option.

Roger

Yes, either can be used, but only need to be used if the bored hole is closer than 1 1/4" from the edge of the stud. The OP shopteacher said the inspector was requiring bushings. I took his post to mean only bushings, or that every stud had to have a bushing (like metal studs do).

One *could* cut EMT (exception #1 to 300.4(A)(1)) in 2.5" pieces, slide thru stud, and put bushings on both ends , but that's pretty hard to do if the wire is already pulled, and much more labor intensive than a nail plate.

Thanks for you insight and opinions. The person who told me about the bushing said he had to get what sounds like a red head and put on the wire and pushed into the stud everywhere it passed through a framing member. I had never heard of anything like this, but you never know what changes will be made in a code.
Thanks all
Great forum

JFletcher

Thanks for you insight and opinions. The person who told me about the bushing said he had to get what sounds like a red head and put on the wire and pushed into the stud everywhere it passed through a framing member. I had never heard of anything like this, but you never know what changes will be made in a code.
Thanks all
Great forum

You're welcome. and welcome to the forum. PA residential may be under building code rather than the NEC; I'm sure someone from PA or does work there would know if there is a requirement other than the NEC for bushings for bored holes in wood. It may have been a spec for a particular building?

eta: Effective Dec 10, 2009 Pennsylvania adopted the 2009 International Building Code and 2009 International Residential Code which reference the 2008 NEC. In May 2015 Council voted to keep 2008 NEC for the next three years.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

One *could* cut EMT (exception #1 to 300.4(A)(1)) in 2.5" pieces, slide thru stud, and put bushings on both ends , but that's pretty hard to do if the wire is already pulled, and much more labor intensive than a nail plate.
While EMT "bushings" may appease some inspector(s), the pieces are technically not EMT unless installed as a complete run. As suggested, those 2.5 inch long pieces of EMT are just steel bushings... so they do not qualify under Exception No. 1, not are they the required 1/16" thick. You'd have to use bushings made of rigid steel conduit to meet the 1/16" thickness requirement.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
While EMT "bushings" may appease some inspector(s), the pieces are technically not EMT unless installed as a complete run. As suggested, those 2.5 inch long pieces of EMT are just steel bushings... so they do not qualify under Exception No. 1, not are they the required 1/16" thick. You'd have to use bushings made of rigid steel conduit to meet the 1/16" thickness requirement.

Which doesn't make much sense because EMT can be run through bored holes in studs without the 1.25" setback.

Status
Not open for further replies.