Wiring up a “paint booth”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

A cabinet shop partitioned off a smallish area of their shop space for their “paint booth” where they’re going to spray finish cabinets.
The walls are all 2x4 and plywood. At this time they don’t have a ducting system for fumes, I’m not sure if that’s in their budget at this time.
They want me to wire it up with lights and receps. Given the fact that the structure is built with combustible material, do I need to do anything more than EMT with 4-square boxes and RS covers? I would used vaportite LED fixtures for lighting.

My only previous exposure to paint booths was an auto body repair shop and that was wired as a hazardous location within the paint booth.
Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I didn't have anything to do with the actual classification process but I wired two cabinet shop finishing areas and they were dealt with the same as paint booths.

sw_ross

I didn't have anything to do with the actual classification process but I wired two cabinet shop finishing areas and they were dealt with the same as paint booths.
Who’s responsibility is it to classify a location? Would that be a fire Marshall?
Or if it isn’t technically classified does that responsibility fall onto the electrician?

sw_ross

I guess what I’m wondering is that if the company hasn’t built it to hazardous location standards, I can’t really wire it as a hazardous location….?

norcal

The paint booths I have been involved had off the shelf fixtures behind wired glass with one exception, which had UL listed fixtures rated for hazardous locations near the entry door, they were sheet metal, not cast iron, or aluminum, & that door had a limit switch interlocked with the compressed air supply to shut it off if opened, enraging the painter if someone were careless enough to do so. There is a lot factors that go into a booth, just erecting walls, adding lighting & makeup & supply air is not going to cut it. The Fire Marshal, & air pollution control also are going be part of the process.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In the permitting process this will come up for sure, I don’t think they care if the owner SAYS they will only use water based paints, it only takes one mistake to cause a disaster.

Or were you planning on doing this without a permit? You might want to discuss that with your insurance agent, that could be a major liability risk.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Paint booths are subject to Article 516; read the scope [Section 516.1]. As such, the interior is Division 1 and, depending on topography, some exterior locations will be Division 2. [Section 516.3] Wiring and equipment must be consistent with those classifications.

While some may argue that they’ve never done it that way before and nothing has ever happened; they may be right. But, if a problem does occur, it will be a very big one.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I guess what I’m wondering is that if the company hasn’t built it to hazardous location standards, I can’t really wire it as a hazardous location….?
If something exciting happens, you want to have all the right answers during your deposition.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I probably should have mentioned that the building materials for the room are irrelevant. NFPA 33 is the applicable Standard and recognizes both flammable and non-flammable building materials.

Area classification can be done by anyone competent to do so. Most local AHJs aren’t. As mentioned, Article 516 applies. Unless the local jurisdiction specifically adopts NFPA 33, it may not be enforceable; Article 516 is probably enforceable though and it already dictates the electical classifications. [Section 516.3] If FedOSHA has jurisdiction, both NFPA 33 and NEC are enforceable.

In any case Article 516 dictates your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.