wiring in disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe

Is it legal to run out of one disconnect(load side)and then enter into another disconnect just to be used as a pull box?My thinking was that if I turned off the second disconnect,the wires from the first one would still be energized.Is there a code that states that if the disconnect is off,all conductors leaving that disconnect shall not be energized?

earlydean

Re: wiring in disconnects

No code section that I'm aware of will forbid this. Gives fuel to the advice to test every conductor prior to working on it.

pierre

Disconnects are not listed as junction boxes. The listing does not describe this type of function, and they have been designed and tested for gutter space, wire bending, etc ... not with other conductors using that space. I would say that this is not a permitted use of the disconnect. Show me documentation that says it is for use as a junction box and I will gladly retract my statement :D

Pierre

dana1028

Pierre - Is 373-8 applicable? Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent Devices.
"enclosures...shall not be used as junction boxes...unless adequate space for this purpose is provided. The conductors shall not fill the wiring space... more than 40%...and splices, taps shall not fill the wiring space ...more than 75%...".

pierre

Dana
That is a very good post. It may be more appropriate than my statement.
In regards to Article 373.8(99) or 312.8(02), the disconnect would still be required to have the adequate space requirement for conductor fill.

So I ammend my comment to say if it has the proper conductor fill, have at it.

Pierre

cpro123

312.8 2002 NEC States enclosures shall not be used as raceways or junction boxes.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.