wiring in crawl space

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: wiring in crawl space

Originally posted by pope:
a running board would be nailed to the bottom of the floor joist what kind of damaged could happen to the wiring in the crawl space.
I don't know and do not ask myself those types of questions. :)

pope

why would it need protection in the crawl space there is nothing there that could damage the wiring

peter d

Pope, we have spoon fed you every code section and given you every possible explanation to this code section. If this bothers you that much, please stop complaining, follow the code, or find another line of work.

pope

I appreciate all of the input that you all have provided to me, and it does bother me that much because I have been a Master Electrician for over 20 years and have never had to deal with something like this with little or no explanation. I do not need to find another line of work, and that was pretty darn rude if you ask me, the whole point of this forum is to get advice, not smart a*s remarks from others. I am following the code, which leaves too much room for interpretation, which is why I decided to ask all of you to explain that to me in "LAMEN's" terms, because I do know how to read the Code Book, I was just looking for more insight and clarification.

stevearne

Yes everyone- let's play nice. I think we all can agree that there are things in the NEC that each one of us could say "I just don't get this" and this should be a safe place to come to and ask those questions without ridicule. The electrical field is so broad and so complex anymore, that no one can tell you they understand it all.

About the crawl space- have you ever been into a crawl space, not matter how deep, and seen that the plumbing pipes, or the duct work was run parallel to the joists but not secured, and has sagged until the 12-2 romex that crosses the bottoms of the joist is all that is holding it up? Maybe a running board would be a good idea.

Have you ever had to crawl through a tight crawl space and find that the material or tools or pipe or duct work that you are trying to take in with you snagged on low hanging romex that was stapled perpendicular to the joists and was not held up? Maybe a running board would be a good idea.

Have you ever gone into a crawl space or unfinished basement to find that the owner's storage included many items stuck in between the joists and held up only by the romex, which is beginning to sag and pull loose? Maybe a running bord would be a good idea.

I hope these thoughts will give you some insight into why the code requires running boards when running perpendicular to the joists. I am sure there as some people out there who have had similar observations.
---------------------------------

334.15(C) [2005 NEC]is specifically unfinished basements - but 334.15(A) can be applied to any exposed work. Crawl spaces may be somewhat of a judgment call, and remember that 90.4 allows the AHJ the last word on that. So what are the inspectors requiring?

This may be an issue that could be clarified by a code change proposal to specifically address crawl spaces.
---------------------------

By the way, this is not really an electrical instructor topic, so I will move it to a NEC forum area soon. Please feel free to continue the discussion there. :)

[ October 10, 2005, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: stevearne ]

peter d

Ok, my "find another line of work" was uncalled for, so I apologize.

IMO, the code language is clear. Running boards are still required in a crawl space. You can't say that wiring in a crawl space is not subject to damage. Yes, the possibility of damage is remote but still there, because crawl spaces can vary from a few feet deep to almost standing height. Therefore, the code rule needs to be strict to cover the possibility that NM cable can still be subject to damage in a crawlspace.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Pope, welcome to the forum. :)
Originally posted by pope:
I appreciate all of the input that you all have provided to me, and it does bother me that much because I have been a Master Electrician for over 20 years and have never had to deal with something like this with little or no explanation.
You're telling me! This section (or more specifcally "(C)" is a real revelation when it appears, ey? :)

Click here to see the turmoil I went through in my denial phase, before bargaining and acceptance.
...the whole point of this forum is to get advice...
Yep!
...not smart a*s remarks from others....
Well, that's not always assured. :D

Steve has a good post on this. More examples can be provided if you'd like. Is there a different angle that you would like to share with us on this?

Wes G

Exposed work as covered in 334.15 would be defined as ?on or attached to the surface?, as opposed to ?concealed? Art. 100. See also 334.10(A)(1) etc.. Exposed wiring methods can be used in a finished area as on a finished basement wall where NM cable is run in EMT to an outlet.

To ?follow the surface? as opposed to suspended through the air, would follow regardless of finish. Notice that this is juxtaposed with ?running boards? which are installed for protection and are not generally considered as part of the structure.

The rule that what is not prohibited is generally allowed, I believe comes into play here. The distinction between ?crawl space? and ?unfinished Basement? in 210.8 is not addressing wiring methods but does illustrate this point. The 2005 code does limit the use of wiring attached to the bottoms of joists in unfinished basements 314.15(C) but does not apply this limitation to crawl spaces, even though this would probably be prudent. I see no requirement for paralleling crawl space wiring with floor joists.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by Wes G:
The rule that what is not prohibited is generally allowed,
Correct and running NM exposed without following closely following the building finish is prohibited.

The only reason we can do that with larger cables in basements is because of 334.15(C). :p

Wes G

"Running NM exposed without following closely following the building finish is prohibited."
"There is no requirement for 'paralleling crawl space wiring with floor joists' but there is a requirement to follow the building finish or to use running boards."

I would have to respectfully disagree with you. 334.15(A)requires y0u to follow the building finish - if you have exposed wiring in an area where surface is finished. It requires you to closely follow running boards - when they are required.

That this is true can be readily seen from the following, to name but a few:
1. Definition of exposed work in art. 100
2. 314.15(B)names several applications where neither is present.
3. 334.15(C) also lists bored holes.
4. 334.23 in referring to accessable attics, which in many ways parallels a crawl space application, takes you to 320.23 which seems clear that the running boards or guard strips are required for wiring protection only near point of enterance or in areas where they might inadvertantly be walked on.
5. Another area that has neither would be the unfinished garage.

iwire

Staff member

wes no problem disagreeing here, we all disagree with each other at some point. :)

I am sorry I am not following your reasoning at all.

Exposed is exposed, if the NM is exposed it can not fly through the air, it must follow the building finish.

In a crawl space the joists are the finish. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Disclaimer: I'm back on the '02 again, the '05's in the truck.

Wes, welcome! :)
Originally posted by Wes G:
The rule that what is not prohibited is generally allowed, I believe comes into play here.
334.15 Exposed Work. In exposed work, except as provided in 300.11(A), the cable shall be installed as specified in 334.15(A) through (C).
This statement, particularly the bolded phrase above, slams the door on the 'permissive document' doctrine in one sentence. Now the general rule is out the window, and all NM must comply with the installation guidelines given if the installation can be called "exposed work."

The distinction between ?crawl space? and ?unfinished Basement? in 210.8 is not addressing wiring methods but does illustrate this point.
I agree, an unfinished basement isn't a crawlspace per the NEC. What the difference is, is conveniently omitted. :D

The 2005 code does limit the use of wiring attached to the bottoms of joists in unfinished basements 314.15(C) but does not apply this limitation to crawl spaces, even though this would probably be prudent.
This is where your train of thought jumps the track, Wes. Look at it this way:
(A) takes all your options away.
(C) gives some of them back.

The statement in (C) is not a limitation, it is a permission given back to violate the rule that (A) laid down.

stevearne

Good discussion, I am going to close it off in the Electrical Instructor area as this is not an instructor issue and move to the NEC discussion area. Please feel free to continue your discussion there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.