Wiring for satelite dish in apartment complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

steeeens

I have to run r-11 coaxial for a satellite dish between 5 buildings in a apartment complex there is wood poles with power for parking lot lights, can i use these poles and is there any different wire to run on poles then just r-11 and how far away from pole line do i need to stay. Thanks

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: Wiring for satelite dish in apartment complex

From 225.14(D), 24 inches. You would want to use a messengered version which has a steel strand moulded into the outside jacket. This is sometimes called figure 8 cable because that's what it looks like in cross section.

That said, this is CATV pole line work and you will need attachment hardware, dead ends etc. as well as the knowledge to work with this cable and hang it. Unless you have done it before I would stay away from it. I would also question the use of RG-11, I would opt for something larger to keep 1Ghz losses low, probably .500 or .625 solid sheath but then you will have to do expansion loops also.

-Hal

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Wiring for satelite dish in apartment complex

Is this for a DBS satellite system (Directv, Dish Network, Voom)? If so why not install a dish on each building? The material and labor to do what you are describing is going to cost much more than installing a separate dish on each building.

Status
Not open for further replies.