Wiring Coax Cable CATV

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicknorth

How do you pull cable in a house?? I have always used a low voltage panel, but this customer doesn't want one. I was wondering what type of wire you use if you are doing a cheaper install and wiring method?

hurk27

Re: Wiring Coax Cable CATV

In most locations if the house is ever going to be hooked to cable TV we have to run dedicated runs to a location by the service. most cable suppliers only want to hook up the cables that will be inuse because of the danger of leakage.
We either stick the runs outside by the service or just inside and run a cable to the outside.

macmikeman

Nick, type rg-6 is pretty much the minimum standard nowadays for cable tv. The old rg-9 with a 20 ga or 22 ga solid inside does not have the bandwith to carry the new array of channels that are available. Even better to run the quad shield type rg-6 coax. (cost's more). In my area if there is 4 or more drops the cable tv company wants us to have a receptacle outlet close by the cable service on the interior side so that a booster amplifier can be used.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Even better to run the quad shield type rg-6 coax. (cost's more).

No, and that's bad advice. We have some people here who think quad shield is better but have no idea why. Their logic is usually that it is physically larger and costs more so it must be better. Fact is that 95% of the time it is a waste of money and effort.

Go to the low voltage forum (where this thread should be by the way) and see whats been said about your subject.

There is also a wealth of information on the subject over at the electrical-contractor.net Voice-Video-Data forum.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.