Wiring after the seal fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rey-man

Hello, inside the bottom of an free standing enclosure, seal fittings were installed. The bottom is covered and it looks more like a wireway.
We do not have enough space to extend conduits and terminate in the bottom of the enclosure.
Can we come out of the seal fittings with wire and use cable glands to terminate into the enclosure? Is this allowable?
The enclosure is in an non-classified area.
Thanks for the feed back.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am envisioning a bunch of conduits that come up through the floor into the bottom of a cabinet sitting on floor. The conduits have seal fittings on them inside the cabinet with wires extending through the seal fittings into the cabinet.

If what I am seeing in my head is what you have, I don't see why you would need to extend the conduit from the seal fittings anyway. Once the wire gets inside the cabinet no conduit is required.

Some kind of physical protection for the wires might be needed where it exits the seal fitting though. A cable gland would handle that adequately IMO.

rey-man

I am envisioning a bunch of conduits that come up through the floor into the bottom of a cabinet sitting on floor. The conduits have seal fittings on them inside the cabinet with wires extending through the seal fittings into the cabinet.

If what I am seeing in my head is what you have, I don't see why you would need to extend the conduit from the seal fittings anyway. Once the wire gets inside the cabinet no conduit is required.

Some kind of physical protection for the wires might be needed where it exits the seal fitting though. A cable gland would handle that adequately IMO.

that is what i thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I'm gonna let Don and (the other) Bob duke this one out. Don has a critical consideration.

I am curious what the designer thought the seals are achieving, though. From the original description and Post #4, it sounds like the seals belong somewhere else.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Just out of curiosity. Are these conduits that come up through the bottom of this cabinet bonded to the cabinet in some way? I know it wasn't part of your question but I've been thinking about this most of the day I keep seeing it in my head.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Just out of curiosity. Are these conduits that come up through the bottom of this cabinet bonded to the cabinet in some way? I know it wasn't part of your question but I've been thinking about this most of the day I keep seeing it in my head.
If the raceways are metallic and not bonded to the cabinet or enclosure, then there is an issue with 300.10 as well as 300.12.

It would be nice to see a drawing or picture that would clarify exactly what this installation looks like.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So what is the issue with 300.12?
From the description of the installation, it does not appear to me that the conduits are attached to the enclosure as required by that section. Exception 2 would apply if the enclosure had an open bottom, but he says there is a bottom to the enclosure.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
From the description of the installation, it does not appear to me that the conduits are attached to the enclosure as required by that section. Exception 2 would apply if the enclosure had an open bottom, but he says there is a bottom to the enclosure.
Usually what I have seen is people cut a rectangular slot in the bottom of the enclosure so the conduit has a place to stub up from the concrete. I don't even know if there's a practical way to attach the conduit to the bottom of the box when the box is sitting on the concrete. Just how would you go about doing that?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Usually what I have seen is people cut a rectangular slot in the bottom of the enclosure so the conduit has a place to stub up from the concrete. I don't even know if there's a practical way to attach the conduit to the bottom of the box when the box is sitting on the concrete. Just how would you go about doing that?
You set male threads of the connector flush with the floor, or set a lock nut on threaded conduit flush with the floor before the floor is poured.
I am not sure that there in any provision that lets you convert an enclosure that is supplied with a solid bottom, into an open bottom enclosure in the field.

rey-man

Just an update, we have resolved the issue with the Engineer. I forgot to mention there is another set of seals at the classified area. Due to redundancy, Engineer deleted the seals at the enclosure.

thank you as always for your comments.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I'm gonna let Don and (the other) Bob duke this one out. Don has a critical consideration.

I am curious what the designer thought the seals are achieving, though. From the original description and Post #4, it sounds like the seals belong somewhere else.
I am envisioning an installation where the conduits travel underground through a Class 1 division 1 area with gasses heavier than air. So a seal fitting where the conduit penetrates the earth outside the area.

bullheimer

I Read 300.12 in the 2017 book and it says open bottoms are ok for equipment. equipment. i have a situation where i need a j-box as close to the ground as possible. i have about five 3/4" pvc conduits coming up out of a slab. the Burger King menu the current box is attached to is going bye bye. i dont have a 2020 codebook. is there anything that will allow me to cut a 5 inch hole in the bottom of a plastic w.p. box and just stub up the pipes? or do i have to cut individual holes? it will be really frikken hard to get all these holes to line up. the wires have to remain in the pipes, (3 out of the five)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I Read 300.12 in the 2017 book and it says open bottoms are ok for equipment. equipment. i have a situation where i need a j-box as close to the ground as possible. i have about five 3/4" pvc conduits coming up out of a slab. the Burger King menu the current box is attached to is going bye bye. i dont have a 2020 codebook. is there anything that will allow me to cut a 5 inch hole in the bottom of a plastic w.p. box and just stub up the pipes? or do i have to cut individual holes? it will be really frikken hard to get all these holes to line up. the wires have to remain in the pipes, (3 out of the five)
My personal opinion is there is nothing in the code that prevents you from taking advantage of the code option to stub up conduits through an open bottom box by taking an off the shelf box that has a bottom and cutting most of it out.

Some here think that is not permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.