wire size on split parallels

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

Meter to 400 amp fused disconnect into bldg 24 x 24 j box to 225 amp rated mlo panel. In 24 x 24 are paralled 4/0 . That have nsi type connectors. 4 space.. 1 set feeds existing 225. So 225 / 230 amps. . I understand from meter to 1st disconnect thewire should be sized accordingly and can be split to multiple panels. Can this be done after the disconnect and Iif so will I need to use 4/0 to feed another panel from the nsi connectors or can idownsize if I use a main breaker new panel. 20140926_105648.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Couple of points:
Once you tap from your 4/0 (400 amp) circuit to any lesser ampacity you must comply with the 240.21 tap rules.
In that regard, the taps you have to your 225 amp panel must terminate as specified in 240.21. Both the tap rule and 408.36 require that your 225 amp panel be protected by a main over-current device sized by the panel and your tap.
The same will hold true for any other taps you add to your 4/0 feeders.

side notes:
(a)assuming the smaller conductors are equipment grounding conductors, 250.148 requires that you connect them to the j box also
(b) your grounding and grounded conductors need proper identification
(c) From you OP, it appears the panel shown is not a service panel therefore your grounded buss should not be bonded (green screw) to the panel

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Also, if that is a horizontally mounted panelboard with opposing breakers (left and right when mounted vertically), you cannot use any of lower spaces... the breaker handle would be up in the open position and down in the closed position. That would be a violation of 404.7.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Also, if that is a horizontally mounted panelboard with opposing breakers (left and right when mounted vertically), you cannot use any of lower spaces... the breaker handle would be up in the open position and down in the closed position. That would be a violation of 404.7.

But it is apparently perfectly acceptable in Canada under the CEC. They have a lot more horizontally mounted panelboards there. :)

electricalist

This is existing equipment in a warehouse/ office. The contractor had use look at adding to it. I agree that unless the fuses in the disconnect are 200 amp then this install is corrupt. I agree once feeders are split they will need ocp . My suggestion to my boss is add a panel horizontally above the j box. (Just kidding) to the right and feed it with 4 /0 to main breaker panel based on amps needed.. the price isnt much from 150 to 200. Either way keep the feeders at 400 amps then do our work , load calculation for the system and fuse the disconnect accordingly. Show the insp. And let him know what was existing

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
We must not be looking at the same picture... :happyno:

Well... to use your words from an earlier thread....
"Well that's one viewpoint. Can you cite authoritative documentation that agrees?"
:D
Iwire and I may be laying down while viewing the picture in which case it is vertical.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Well... to use your words from an earlier thread....
"Well that's one viewpoint. Can you cite authoritative documentation that agrees?"
:D
Iwire and I may be laying down while viewing the picture in which case it is vertical.
Laying down while looking at the picture doesn't change the panel's orientation. But I do concede that the picture may not be oriented as viewed in real world... :p

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Me too, there are two things in the photo that tells me that the left side of the photo is up, a red wire nut in the bottom of the panel and the studs, unless they glued the wire nut to the bottom of that panel and the studs are horizontal:p
Good catch...

hurk27

side notes:
(a)assuming the smaller conductors are equipment grounding conductors, 250.148 requires that you connect them to the j box also

If you look at what should be the top of the J box, you will see a large grounding bar that the three EGC's land on, one from each set of parallel conductors and one to the neutral bar in the ML panel,they are just not marked green at the termination.

hurk27

If you look at what should be the top of the J box, you will see a large grounding bar that the three EGC's land on, one from each set of parallel conductors and one to the neutral bar in the ML panel,they are just not marked green at the termination.

After looking at that bar it looks more like a 4X lug you would put on a buss like in a transformer, also looks like no paint was removed from behind it, and the attachment screw is not one that would be UL listed for a ground bar mounting??

electricalist

fc495291cba00dd7c557fbdb9f6b8350.jpg

electricalist

Man that took a minute to figure out. All of this is existing although I am keeping these corruptions in mind. I also found in the panel neutrals and grounds isolated yet I had ac guy check ahu and its electric heat as well. With #8 green as neutral in unit landed on grounding bar in panel. Why do yhey do this. Is it a easy way for them to say we got a neutral were good because to them they end up bonded anyway at the 1st disconnect

electricalist

I think they should have sanded grounding mech. Lug in the j box. Some inspectors will tag it others are ok as long as the other bonds look good. The disconnect is factory set up to bond enclosure the holes we drilled for feeders to j box and panel and they ran a ground wire. Realistically they could have said the ridged nipples were the the egc

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Point made ! My aged eyes missed that.. saw the lug not the terminations

electricalist

I missed it too. They were seperated to their respective type. Grounds left neutrals right. Although im there to know what I see. We do have someone that the person who did the work inspect it. Trivial sometimes. Helpfull sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.