Wire colors on 277V lighting circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

Occupation
Engineer
Have a rush job where I need to get some industrial lighting installed. two adjoined buildings are 260ft long and plan for only a single light at the center of each bay. We will probably break each building into two circuits so my intent is to run 4 conductors half way, then 2 conductors the rest of the way. We have not decided if EMT or MC will be used but I wanted to ask about colors for this? Is tape acceptable for color coding? I ask because if we go with MC, I am not sure what colors are even available.

The circuit is likely to be #14 wire.

We would be attaching to the very top roof purlin with a JB mounted for every light location and cable or EMT will be attached to said purlin. We will have to jog a short distance (3ft) to each light so if we do EMT, we would probably have to transition to MC for that jog. Just sharing the plan.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Assuming that there is more than one voltage system in the building, the systems need to have their conductors identified by phase and voltage per 210.5(C)(1).
[/quote] 210.5(C)(1) ....
(a)Means of Identification. The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means.[/quote]
The method and colors used must be shown at each panel in the building or structure, or documented in a manner that is readily available and acceptable to the AHJ per 210.5(C)(1)(b).

fastline

Occupation
Engineer
Yes, 2 voltage systems exist and 480/277 panel already exists with conductors identified. This just pertains to the branch circuit as I am uncertain if the smaller conductors are omitted from the tape marking. My intent was possible to run two blacks as hots, and tape match to corresponding phases.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, 2 voltage systems exist and 480/277 panel already exists with conductors identified. This just pertains to the branch circuit as I am uncertain if the smaller conductors are omitted from the tape marking. My intent was possible to run two blacks as hots, and tape match to corresponding phases.
If you amend the directories at the panels to include tape marking, you are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.