Wire chocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

yankeeman411

Are wire chocks code or are they on if you need them basis? Its a vertical run up 5 storys. I dont think they need them because of the 90's under the pour.

kwired

Electron manager
Assuming you are talking about additional conductor support on vertical runs so the conductor don't try to "fall" out of the vertical run or have it's weight put extra strain on the termination at the top.

If so have you read 300.19? This is the part of code that covers this. Requirements do vary based on conditions of the installation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Kw stated they're required if you have a condition that's listed in Table 300.19(A). There are other methods besides chocks like Kellem grips.I wouldn't want to see 5 stories of 500 kcmil without chocks. :)

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
As Kw stated they're required if you have a condition that's listed in Table 300.19(A). There are other methods besides chocks like Kellem grips.I wouldn't want to see 5 stories of 500 kcmil without chocks. :)

Off topic a bit: How many feet is "5 stories"?

Timely topic, we have a customer that is thinking of installing a 150' leg. 75 HP motor on top. I had forgotten about this small detail.:ashamed1:

construct

Off topic a bit: How many feet is "5 stories"?

Timely topic, we have a customer that is thinking of installing a 150' leg. 75 HP motor on top. I had forgotten about this small detail.:ashamed1:

The industry standard for conventional construction is 12' per story. Creative design can change that, so, the IBC and IFC states that a story is measured as the vertical distance from top to top of two successive tiers of beams or finished floor surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.