Will it trip the breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamjamma

But it still costs the same to operate them.

actually, based upon my usage of things here in England, I would say that cost wise, doubling the voltage has reduced the operating cost... the 240 volt toaster toasts in about 5/6th the time, and at 1/2 the amps of the 110 version so, it uses less watt hours, if I am right on my math... the same with the kettle, well, the kettle uses less amps... 11 compared to 15, and it takes 2 minutes approximately to boil, compared to three minutes in Jamaica... same style kettle.
Now, one area that makes no sense to me is cooking times on stoves as my stove in the USA is 240, my stove in UK is 240, difference is 240 three wire to 240 four wire... or one live to two live... yet water boils quicker by 3 minutes for a spaghetti pot in the USA... but eggs take one minute less time to cook the way my wife loves them.

Not everyone is so anal as me to keep track of such idiotic things like the toothbrush charging quicker or the phone charging quicker on its wall wart... same adapter but different country and the 110 to 240 being the difference... but, in almost every case the UK lets me use the AC for less time. And with me turning the switches off to limit standby current losses, it seems I use less power at 240 than at 120...

But, perhaps the more learned on here can explain to me how I am spending more here? Other than the Pound to Dollar difference?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
That ain't an ammeter on the side of the building the power company installed.

Of course not, but to determine if it's cheaper to operate on 240 vs. 120 we must also know how much of the energy from the poco was turned directly into cooling, as opposed to motor and conductor losses due to heat or mechanical losses.

Do you know for sure that both 120 and 240 volt air conditioners produce exactly the same BTU's per watt?

480sparky

Of course not, but to determine if it's cheaper to operate on 240 vs. 120 we must also know how much of the energy from the poco was turned directly into cooling, as opposed to motor and conductor losses due to heat or mechanical losses.

Do you know for sure that both 120 and 240 volt air conditioners produce exactly the same BTU's per watt?

I was talking about lighting.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Losses in lighting circuits have no effect on cost, unless you're going to install a higher-wattage bulb to compensate.

With heat or AC, the unit will have to run longer to maintain a given thermostat setting, so losses are a minor factor.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
WOW, I bet a toaster sold in 2019 won't be operating in 72 years When quality counts.
Yes, I don't expect that much of anything we buy new now will still be working 72 years later. The only repair to the toaster is that I replaced the cord about 15 years ago.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
In any training program, you are almost always forced to simplify things to get the basic concept across.

If you assume the basic simplification of a constant value resistance and OCPD that instantly trips at the handle value, then the answer is simple: the breaker trips.

The fact that these simplifications are _wrong_ does not make the question poorly worded; that is a question of context. IMHO if the instructor has been clear upfront that they are starting with simplifications (and perhaps even gives a few examples), then at the right point in the training program this is a great question. I don't think it would be fair on a test unless there is a requirement to show work, but it is fine for starting a discussion in class. As long as the students understand that they are working with a simplification, and that a more accurate answer might require better approximations.

However because of these simplifications the instructor must be ready for different answers that use better approximations to reality.

We never stop using approximations. An electrician is expected to be able to do voltage drop calculations. How many times do you simply use the NEC conductor properties for voltage drop, and how many times do you adjust your values for conductor temperature? How many times do you adjust your values for conductor cross section manufacturing tolerance? If you just use the NEC conductor properties, your answer is not going to be correct, but is likely close enough for practical purposes.

-Jon

kwired

Electron manager
I will try one more time.

Consider this a FIXED resistor. You guys are inserting too much information in this example.

The math has been done. The breaker would trip.

That is not what the problem was to solve. It's when electricians start thinking when the voltage goes up, current goes down. You will see this if you have a dual rated irrigation pump motor. A guy will hook up an irrigation motor from 120 to 240. He sees the voltage has risen but the current has dropped. It gets in his head without thinking he changed the straps before he doubles the voltage, hence, changing the resistance. This is a fixed resistor for this example. Also, forget about the heat and change in the value of this resistor.......... It's 14.4 ohms, period at 120 volts.

No math guy would EVER get this wrong. It's the guy in the field that has been an electrician all his life. They are the first to say, the current will drop in half and the breaker will not trip.

As I said in my first post, most seasoned electricians will get this wrong. The math guys, never.

Try it on a guy that's been in the field for a long time, you will see, he will get it wrong most of the time until he thinks about it and then does the math.

I have actually changed this resistor to an incandescent light bulb. They still get it wrong! Now that is amazing to see that. We use the toaster as stealth. The light bulb should be obvious.

Thanks for the comments. This is how we think and reason and continue to learn...
You are making some wrong assumptions here. Newbies might get it wrong, but that can be expected. Experienced electricians that spent most of their time doing new installs may even get it wrong. Experienced troubleshooters know exactly what will happen and on top of that telling them to assume fixed resistor or that the fuse is the weakest link tells them something is wrong with the question as that isn't what they will see as typical for the situation you described.

The fuse is responding to current - but your current is only slightly over the fuse rating and still within the trip curve so time becomes a factor on when it blows. The wattage imposed on the heating element is approximately 4 times what it is designed for, approximate because it isn't exactly a fixed resistance, at the temp it will be operating it will have some resistance change. At the temp the element will be operating it likely will fail before enough time has passed to blow the fuse. This true for most common fuses that may be found in circuit supplying such load, You could have fuses designed with less time in the trip curve and then it may trip before the element fails. Standard thermal mag breakers are also going to hold longer than the heating element does.

Bottom line is it is somewhat of a loaded question - but you eventually have made the point you were trying to make clear, which is for resistive loads a change in voltage results in a reasonably equal proportional change in current.

This conversation reminds me of a similar question to ask of an electrician. Will a dual voltage motor use more power at the low or the high voltage? Sadly, many "electricians" respond along the lines of "of course the lower voltage, just look, the current is double. It will cost twice as much to run"
Or one I seem to get a lot is if single vs three phase motor uses more power. Efficiency can be different between two single phase motors as easily as it can be different between a single and a three phase motor, same output power is needed to drive the load regardless of what is driving it though.

480sparky

You gave us a question and we answered it. Then you started to move the goal posts. "Assume the fuse is the weak link". "Assume it is a 'fixed resistor'". And when we start making assumptions and adjusting our field position about where we are in relationship to these moving goal posts, our assumptions are summarily dismissed.

Gary11734

In any training program, you are almost always forced to simplify things to get the basic concept across.

If you assume the basic simplification of a constant value resistance and OCPD that instantly trips at the handle value, then the answer is simple: the breaker trips.

The fact that these simplifications are _wrong_ does not make the question poorly worded; that is a question of context. IMHO if the instructor has been clear upfront that they are starting with simplifications (and perhaps even gives a few examples), then at the right point in the training program this is a great question. I don't think it would be fair on a test unless there is a requirement to show work, but it is fine for starting a discussion in class. As long as the students understand that they are working with a simplification, and that a more accurate answer might require better approximations.

However because of these simplifications the instructor must be ready for different answers that use better approximations to reality.

We never stop using approximations. An electrician is expected to be able to do voltage drop calculations. How many times do you simply use the NEC conductor properties for voltage drop, and how many times do you adjust your values for conductor temperature? How many times do you adjust your values for conductor cross section manufacturing tolerance? If you just use the NEC conductor properties, your answer is not going to be correct but is likely close enough for practical purposes.

-Jon

Agree 100%

What has to be remembered, this was a first-year apprentice class. What does a first-year student know? But, what are we doing in class this first year? Learning math. The teacher is saying, do the math.

This was to understand a FIXED resistance, and how to solve for it, period. But, what we found was that persons that had been in the field were claiming pretty quick that the current would drop in half immediately without doing the math. That to me was a surprise.

Understanding that the toaster, rated at 1000 watt, was a product of a fixed resistance number, and it was based on 120 volts as manufactured. Understanding the correlation of that is what is good about the problem.

Now, as I change the motor straps in a dual motor winding from one voltage to another, I can see the resistance changing because I remember this problem.

I realized we could have built-in bias from real-world experiences based on some of the answers of that class. I tend to live outside of the box, so this problem intrigued me in how we bring bias to our world of reality.

kwired

Electron manager
Agree 100%

What has to be remembered, this was a first-year apprentice class. What does a first-year student know? But, what are we doing in class this first year? Learning math. The teacher is saying, do the math.

This was to understand a FIXED resistance, and how to solve for it, period. But, what we found was that persons that had been in the field were claiming pretty quick that the current would drop in half immediately without doing the math. That to me was a surprise.

Understanding that the toaster, rated at 1000 watt, was a product of a fixed resistance number, and it was based on 120 volts as manufactured. Understanding the correlation of that is what is good about the problem.

Now, as I change the motor straps in a dual motor winding from one voltage to another, I can see the resistance changing because I remember this problem.

I realized we could have built-in bias from real-world experiences based on some of the answers of that class. I tend to live outside of the box, so this problem intrigued me in how we bring bias to our world of reality.
Doubling the voltage to a motor also leads to high current, unless you change the winding connections - which when done correctly on a typical dual voltage motor each individual winding actually sees the same voltage regardless of what the incoming circuit voltage is. In a teaching situation you must make that clear that not only has the input voltage changed but so has the overall impedance of the load when it is intentionally done with the goal of same output power. Same can even be said for dual voltage heating elements when intended to have same output watts at either voltage.

Add: I guess what I am saying is it isn't just the math that is different it is the variables that determine the math that are different, which comes back to understanding theory and not just math.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
The crux of the biscuit here is whether one assumes the toaster to be a constant power device, which it isn't. That's what the question is testing, not what the time constant of the breaker is. It's a question for apprentices; it has to be kept simple. I think that if "seasoned electricians" often get it wrong, it's more likely because they are thinking about all the complicating details, not because they don't know how electricity works.

kwired

Electron manager
I've seen fair amount of unintentionally getting 120 volt circuits on a 208 volt "high leg", all sorts of equipment from things containing heating elements to incandescent lamps to motors. Never have seen fuse or breaker open, seen many items burn themselves out as result of the excess voltage being applied. One case was POCO's fault, changing things on their side of meter - they checked rotation when done but never verified high leg was in proper position. This was at a cattle feed yard, a lot of Merc vapor lights (this was many years ago now) failed, and some items in a shop building. Two that I recall was a waste oil furnace and an overhead door operator - both those was lucky enough damage was just to control transformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.