Why does North America use conduit to enter buildings?

freddyt7

GM VP of the electrical division.
All - I want to know why the USA uses conduit to enter buildings, especially through walls. Secondly, why do many buildings have the conduit come up through the ground floor in buildings? In these instances is this code driven, design driven, or both? I would like to know the specific codes and reasons why this is. I know we use conduit for protection, but cable tray is used outside of buildings too. I am trying to understand why Europe direct buries their cable and brings the cables through walls and Canada uses a lot of TECK Cable instead of conduit.

Thank you for your responses. It is greatly appreciated.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I am going to say it is design choice that is also taking into account local codes.

You are also not specifying if this is related to utility power systems or commercial/residential.

Conduit is better for a couple of reasons, but the primary purpose is to protect the cable and in some instances protect people from the cable. There are applications in residential and commercial that do not require conduit to be used.

Direct buried cable is probably still used occasionally and depends on the purpose.

Cable tray is used all the time in commercial applications and I don't think it would have a good use case in residential, but I don't know.

As far as codes, you would have to research it yourself. There are different types of conduit, wiring methods, and applications that can make using conduit or not a possible design choice.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(Fixed profile for you)
Conduit is not required in every situation. With some restrictions, cables can be used.
Individual conductors are required to be installed in a raceway except rated conductors can be installed in cable trays in industrial applications..

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I am trying to understand why Europe direct buries their cable and brings the cables through walls and Canada uses a lot of TECK Cable instead of conduit.
In short, European standards are not as stringent as ours.

As for TECK cable, we have coated MC which is basically the same. Its use is up to the engineers and EC doing the installation as to whether it's suitable, even though the NEC may allow it being used in a particular application.

-Hal

freddyt7

In short, European standards are not as stringent as ours.

As for TECK cable, we have coated MC which is basically the same. Its use is up to the engineers and EC doing the installation as to whether it's suitable, even though the NEC may allow it being used in a particular application.

-Hal
Thank you Hal. Can you explain more in detail what the differences are using some codes for example. I am talking about conduits entering buildings from the meter to the gear. Is it coed that requires that? Any further details you can provide would be greatly appreciated. We are working with a European company and that is why I am asking. Thanks again.

freddyt7

(Fixed profile for you)
Conduit is not required in every situation. With some restrictions, cables can be used.
Individual conductors are required to be installed in a raceway except rated conductors can be installed in cable trays in industrial applications..
Thank you so much for responding! I am speaking about why from the meter or for feeder cables going through a wall with conduit why they would still stay in conduit from the wall to the gear or a panel? Secondly, why do they require conduit coming up out of a floor into the gear or enclosure? I am not interested in residential, only commercial and industrial applications. We work with a European company and that is why I am asking to better explain to them why we use conduits more than they do. Thanks again.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I am talking about conduits entering buildings from the meter to the gear.

The concern is fire. If you ever saw a service burn up you would know what I mean. Sometimes even galvanized rigid conduit is destroyed.

Contrast that to the piddly plastic everything that they use in Europe and it's a wonder there are any buildings left. :rolleyes:

There was a picture of a European house fire here a little while back that started in the plastic "consumer unit". A breaker burned up due to the lugs not being tightened properly. Here, that would have resulted in, at most, the panel being replaced. But in this instance it caused major damage to the structure because the plastic enclosure couldn't contain the arcing.

-Hal

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Most commercial & industrial wiring is either with individual conductors such as THWN or with cables such as MC cable.
As stated, the NEC requires individual conductors to be protected by a conduit or approved raceway for conductor protection.
Likewise the NEC requires physical protection for conductors emerging from the ground..
All is designed to prevent damage to the individual conductors

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
US electrical codes are heavily influenced by entities who have a financial interest in them. Thus you often get expensive requirements for little or no benefit. That is the real reason.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I looked at it a while back. What I found was conduit and wire is much cheaper than Tek cable, even if you add in labor. Easier to handle, too.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
MC cable, especially MCcoated cable is similar to TECK cable, I believe, and it (MC) can be used in most applications in lieu of conduit

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Hmmm, ulterior motive?

But what the hey, I'm a conduit sorta guy. Am just imagining how many different kinds of Tek cable you would need to keep on hand and what the lead time might be for some of them, not to mention hauling them around! Instead, just keep bk. rd, wt, gn of 14, 12, 10, 8, 6. And for conduit, just tie it to the top of the ladder rack or have it delivered. Then there is how nice it looks when using a condulet or j-box to make a tight 90 degree turn. With Tek, just not the same.

freddyt7

Hmmm, ulterior motive?

But what the hey, I'm a conduit sorta guy. Am just imagining how many different kinds of Tek cable you would need to keep on hand and what the lead time might be for some of them, not to mention hauling them around! Instead, just keep bk. rd, wt, gn of 14, 12, 10, 8, 6. And for conduit, just tie it to the top of the ladder rack or have it delivered. Then there is how nice it looks when using a condulet or j-box to make a tight 90 degree turn. With Tek, just not the same.
Hi - no motive. We represent a company from Europe and they have a device that brings cables into buildings but they do primarily direct buried up to the building and need to seal at the building then the wires or cables go into the building and are in tray or loose. I am trying to figure out or verify our findings that this device doesn't have as much application because of codes, etc.

This is what I am trying to figure out. There may be a place for this device where cables in a substation are in an open trench at a substation that goes into a building or where there is a vault or manhole where conduit doesn't go through a vault.

Again, NO MOTIVE here, only trying to understand and explain to our partner why this particular device may not have as much application because of the standard construction practices, protection, and codes.

Thank you for your input.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
The primary problem you would face is that most jurisdictions will require that any wiring be listed by UL or another NRTL.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi - no motive. We represent a company from Europe and they have a device that brings cables into buildings but they do primarily direct buried up to the building and need to seal at the building then the wires or cables go into the building and are in tray or loose. I am trying to figure out or verify our findings that this device doesn't have as much application because of codes, etc.

This is what I am trying to figure out. There may be a place for this device where cables in a substation are in an open trench at a substation that goes into a building or where there is a vault or manhole where conduit doesn't go through a vault.

Again, NO MOTIVE here, only trying to understand and explain to our partner why this particular device may not have as much application because of the standard construction practices, protection, and codes.

Thank you for your input.
I think you would have to give us some specific information on just what this device is.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Welp, looks like the mod removed my post. By all means, help the gm vp away. Thankgoodness i didnt post his content on the site...

freddyt7

The primary problem you would face is that most jurisdictions will require that any wiring be listed by UL or another NRT
I understand that cables in North America need to be UL, CSA, or by another NRTL. What I am truly asking is when you have a service entrance for a commercial building, data center, industrial, what are the codes that require that the cables be in conduit? Especially when entering the building and are there other reasons besides fire and protection of the cables? Are there any other reasons why we don't direct bury cables more and then enter a building through a core drill or precast opening like they do in Europe more frequently.

Thank you,