Whole house GFCI or GFCI/AFCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee95

I just bought a single family house built 1983. I wanted the paint the house and removed receptacle covers to make paintimg easy. Once I started removing covers, I discovered 10 put pf 40 receptacle plactic piece was broken. I am not talking about cover, I am saying actual receptacle surrounding broke pieces.
There is 3 bathroom in the house and only one bathroom has GFCI receptacle. Amd in the kitchen there are none GFCI receptacles.
So I got to replace broken receptacle and add GFCI.
1) Should I replace the electrical panel breakers all to GFCI?
2) Should I replace all breakers to GFCI/ AFCI combo breakers?
3) Should I replace all receptacles to GFCI? It will cost me money but I dont care.
4) Just replace broken receptacles and add GFCI where required?
I just cant decide which way to go here. I am thinking, will there be a time NEC will require entire receltacles to be GFCI?
In Europe, main breaker has GFCI protection on it that there people dont think about this. Whole house is GFCI by the main breaker.
I am very interested to know what you guys will do?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
4. Replace like with like, and add GFCI protection where usually recommended.

Since you're painting, replace all switches, receptacles, and plates with new ones.

What was compliant when wired is not required to be brought to present code.

topgone

If you ever would like to re-wire, maybe it's proper to be code compliant. If you are just replacing old fixtures, replace them with similar ones and also upgrade those important receptacles where GFCI is recommended to be on the safe side.

Have you checked for voltage at the two bathroom outlets after triggering the one GFCI outlet? The may be Ron off the load side and f that outlet and therefore be GFCI protected.

I wouldn’t put GFCI on your furnace or fridge outlets unless required. Hate to have one of those trip when you are out of town because the outlet decides to take a dive. Could cause lots of damage or spoiled food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

growler

I just bought a single family house built 1983. I wanted the paint the house and removed receptacle covers to make paintimg easy. Once I started removing covers, I discovered 10 put pf 40 receptacle plactic piece was broken.
I am very interested to know what you guys will do?

House built in 1983 probably has original receptacles. That's almost 40 years old. You can normally tell if the receptacles are old because many of them (most used) will be kind of loose when you plug something into the receptacles.

If you have the time and don't mind spending a couple of bucks then it's not a bad idea to change out all of the old receptacles. Looks clean and they will hold a plug better. Pig tail connections and don't back stab. You should probably use the T/R (tamper resistant ) type receptacles. Use GFCI protection in the kitchen and bathrooms. And around any other sinks in laundry or wet bar.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread in accordance with the forum rules.
This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.