Whirlpool tub bonding / handrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob1kva

Re: Whirlpool tub bonding / handrail

Boy,I've got to get here more often,only 2 posts in since registering!!!!

rob1kva

Thanks Ryan, some of my counterparts were not sure & could not find the article.One thought you may have to bond them if a wire is cut/nicked within a wall where a handrail is mounted.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Metal railing,water(with additives roger LOL)electric motors/heaters...It should be bonded.

ryan_618

I'm not saying that bonding is a bad thing, but it is not required by 680.74.

By the way, if the motor and piping system are bonded, could there be a voltage gradient?

pierre

Ryan
For Hydromassage tubs, I just reread the bonding requirements. These requirements are different than for hottubs and pools. I at first disagreed with your response thinking that the rail would require bonding. As I read it again, only metal parts of electrical equipment need to be bonded.
Correct?

Pierre

ryan_618

Thats correct, Pierre. 680.74 is a bit less restrictive than the bonding required by 680.26. In my area, it is popular to put a fireplace near the foot of the hydromassage tub. The plans examiners and inspectors at my city used to require that it be bonded, but I explained to them and showed them that it is not required.

It seems a bit odd to me, since this is equipotential bonding, just like the rest of art. 680, but indeed, it is not required.

Again, I say if you want, bind until your blue in the face, it won't hurt anything, but it is not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.