Where would you start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Got a call for parking lot lights being out in a large store like Walmart or Macy's,. The companies guy who does bulbs claims that there is a wireing issue below grade.
Been to site to check on it and there is no rhyme or reason apparent to how it is wired between poles.
Two poles that I checked so far when checking for power made even less sense, first pole that was "working" that "was supposedly providing connection point" to second pole had no power on lines going up into pole to the lights but did have power on a line that simply spliced and went back down in the conduits. The wires in second pole also did not have power but also did not have the same color conductors that are in the first pole. Would there normally be some kind of schematics for a parking lot lighting design? (I would think so but nobody there knows anything.)
Went back after dark to confirm which lights are out as again nobody on site including store manager knew anything. Did confirm the nonfunctional lights.
Other thing nobody knew was where the breakers for the lights are, they took me to 4 different electrical rooms last one did have a panel that had beakers marked as parking lot lights but each breaker also marked "motor control", what this is idk. So do they really control only the light circuits?
Would there be a timer on these light besides the photo control that are on the fixtures? That could account for no power at the now known working fixture, but again nobody knows anything.
These breakers are also different than normal, had an additional smaller wire about a #16 besides the larger #10 that is also seen at the poles, similar to shunt trip but not quite. Seen online something similar that indicated it was a relay control of sorts that will switch the circuit off and on with an internal motor, but didn't see if it actually putting the breaker handle into a tripped position. If this is indeed controlling the power as a switch again nobody knows where the controls are (timers or other sort).
Each fixture also has inline fuses, that would be my first investigation vs a buried long term previously working lighting wire damage as no recent (at least more than a year) excavation done at site. But unable to confirm as yet power issue, breaker state, or timer/photo cell issue. Without which LOTO not possible. Panel found that had breakers marked as parking lot lights also marked as 277V so feel LOTO should be done.
Seems there should be some schematics for the whole thing, but again nobody knows anything.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
The very first step?
Make sure they understand that the lack of reliable as-built drawings means the job will include a lot of forensic re-engineering and make sure they're willing to pay for it.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
These breakers are also different than normal, had an additional smaller wire about a #16 besides the larger #10 that is also seen at the poles, similar to shunt trip but not quite.
Could 0-10v dimming wire pass thru the breaker panel?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Doesn't sound like you are dealing with the brightest lamp on the tree (pun intended).
Some problems may be as simpe as a bad lamp.
You have already confirmed no power at some poles so I would be looking for a lighting contactor somewhere.
90+% of parking lot lighting I;ve seen have a lighting contactor.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
I would look for some kind of building/energy management panel. Larger chain stores often have them. Sometimes they are controlled by a central office or via some 3rd party service. I've seen them amidst panels and switchgear, so they can blend in with other equipment. This could be related to the small control wires you saw on the breakers.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Doesn't sound like you are dealing with the brightest lamp on the tree (pun intended).
Some problems may be as simpe as a bad lamp.
You have already confirmed no power at some poles so I would be looking for a lighting contactor somewhere.
90+% of parking lot lighting I;ve seen have a lighting contactor.
Kind of what I thought but no info on where it might be, but think it be either by timer or centralized photo cell other than the pole top ones that are visible. Also kind of wondering about those breakers, they look like a controlled ones but not sure if these types of switch breakers when "turned off" will move the handle into off position or if all control is only internal with no apparent visual indication that circuit is off, as opposed to a trip situation.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Seems like you starting from scratch. It will be better to have a secons person to help you on this (walking back and forth, turning breakers/switches ON/OFF...)

Anywho, as suggested earlier, check the bulbs, the ballasts, check for voltage at the fixture, voltage at the base, and work yourself back.

The breakers that are marked motor control, may have the wrong marking, check for voltage on those breakers. Also suggested earlier, trace the wiring back.

Make sure you have a written agreement about pricing and the cost of the repair. It may take you a lot of time walking back and forth.

Edward

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Sounds like an old style Square D motorized breaker. Not many left around anymore, first ones I put in was back in the 80’s. Does it have a red light on it? The newer ones plug into a control rail, and no, the handle itself does not move, it just opens and closes the contacts internally. On the old ones, a red light shows it’s on, the newer ones the flag in the breaker changes color.
Could be an Eaton SOB (solenoid operated breaker), those have 3 or 4 wires with a plug that goes into a rail on both sides of the panel. It also has a window that shows the state of the breaker.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Sounds like an old style Square D motorized breaker. Not many left around anymore, first ones I put in was back in the 80’s. Does it have a red light on it? The newer ones plug into a control rail, and no, the handle itself does not move, it just opens and closes the contacts internally. On the old ones, a red light shows it’s on, the newer ones the flag in the breaker changes color.
Could be an Eaton SOB (solenoid operated breaker), those have 3 or 4 wires with a plug that goes into a rail on both sides of the panel. It also has a window that shows the state of the breaker.
It is an SD from very early 90's build. The size is like a 3p breaker but only 2p of circuit wire then just a small one coming off it going off into a different conduit from power conductors. At first just thought was wrong panel so didn't take detailed look though just that they were very odd. It wasn't until I saw lights on at the unpowered pole that I thought some form of seperate controls present that cut power before light pole. That led me to question the "different" breaker and what it was.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It is an SD from very early 90's build. The size is like a 3p breaker but only 2p of circuit wire then just a small one coming off it going off into a different conduit from power conductors. At first just thought was wrong panel so didn't take detailed look though just that they were very odd. It wasn't until I saw lights on at the unpowered pole that I thought some form of seperate controls present that cut power before light pole. That led me to question the "different" breaker and what it was.
Yep, that’s the old style. They are a little easier to trouble shoot, the controller is in what looks like a 100 amp loadcenter, but if you open the door, you will see the control modules, and some more lights. Contact closure on the controllers input will turn the breakers “ON”.

Status
Not open for further replies.