Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here it is

314.27 said:
(C) Boxes at Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fan Outlets.
Outlet boxes or outlet box systems used as the sole support of
a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall be listed, shall be
marked by their manufacturer as suitable for this purpose, and
shall not support ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans that weigh
more than 32 kg (70 lb). For outlet boxes or outlet box systems
designed to support ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans that
weigh more than 16 kg (35 lb), the required marking shall
include the maximum weight to be supported.
Where spare, separately switched, ungrounded conductors
are provided to a ceiling-mounted outlet box, in a location
acceptable for a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan in
single-family, two-family, or multi-family dwellings, the
outlet box or outlet box system shall be listed for sole
support of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm seeing two different things there.
To me, the OP is asking about a fan circuit being required at an outlet box and the Section you quoted addressed the type box used when the f an circuit is present.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm seeing two different things there.
To me, the OP is asking about a fan circuit being required at an outlet box and the Section you quoted addressed the type box used when the f an circuit is present.

You are correct Gus... Nothing states that you must run a 3 wire but if you do..... Thanks for the correction on what the OP is asking...:thumbsup:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A three wire pull will allow separate control of fan and light if you ever go to a combined fixture.
Although most modern residential fans can also accept a remote control that lets you control fan and light, with speed control and maybe dimming with only a two wire (hot and neutral plus EGC) circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
Has anyone ever argued that you may pull a split circuit to an outlet box not for the use of a paddle fan but rather to continue one of the leads to another outlet? Seems logical to me that one may not intend to ever supply a fan, yet as is worded you sort of must still install a fan rated box there.

More of the NEC overstepping it's own rules about not being a design manual.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Has anyone ever argued that you may pull a split circuit to an outlet box not for the use of a paddle fan but rather to continue one of the leads to another outlet? Seems logical to me that one may not intend to ever supply a fan, yet as is worded you sort of must still install a fan rated box there.

More of the NEC overstepping it's own rules about not being a design manual.

IMO, I don't see this requirement as a split circuit. "spare, separately switched, ungrounded conductors are provided ...."

kwired

Electron manager
IMO, I don't see this requirement as a split circuit. "spare, separately switched, ungrounded conductors are provided ...."
what I described is exactly what is described by the part you put in bold. What is described there is any situation where there is more then one switch controlled ungrounded conductor in the box, could be same 120 volt split via two switches or a multiwire branch circuit, or two individual feeds to the box via separate cables or raceways even.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Maybe the determining factor is whether or not the spare, separately switched ungrounded conductor is actually spliced to another ungrounded conductor that leaves the box. In that case you might be able to argue that it is not "spare".

Maybe the determining factor is whether or not the spare, separately switched ungrounded conductor is actually spliced to another ungrounded conductor that leaves the box. In that case you might be able to argue that it is not "spare".

I agree, and it shouldn't be an argument. the way its worded is clear that the additional ungrounded conductor must be both spare AND separately switched to enact the fan rated box requirement. If it is either constant power or being utilized (feed through) a fan rated box should not be required.

user 100

I agree, and it shouldn't be an argument. the way its worded is clear that the additional ungrounded conductor must be both spare AND separately switched to enact the fan rated box requirement. If it is either constant power or being utilized (feed through) a fan rated box should not be required.

I'm also going to lean towards this interpretation. If a hot is being used for something else like feed thru/constant pwr , it is not considered a spare, so no fan rated box.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry guys, I was missing that "spare" in the wording for some reason.

Might still be the NEC making itself a design manual, but maybe on a lesser level.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Sorry guys, I was missing that "spare" in the wording for some reason.

Might still be the NEC making itself a design manual, but maybe on a lesser level.
Our local code requires that any ceiling box that is at least 3' from the closest wall be a fan rated box.

Status
Not open for further replies.