Where do I find electrical codes for MN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernieq

I have a city inspector telling me I need to fix something on my house that has been there since the 70's.

I want to know the codes, because he won't tell me.

Does anyone know where I can find codes for MN

iwire

Staff member
Re: Where do I find electrical codes for MN

If the NEC is used in your area there should be one available at your town or city hall to look at.

You might try the library or you could buy one (about $50.00).

The area to look for NM codes is article 334 however general rules are located in other articles.

How about providing some details and perhaps we can help you out.

Most times the code is not retroactive, but I do not know the local rules which the inspector might have at his disposal.

G

S/he wants MN and you give him/her NM.

Too funny.

Minnesota vs. New Mexico.

I know you meant NM-B.

iwire

Staff member

:eek:

Well most of the reply still stands true. :D

I was impressed that a one time poster used (I thought) the proper term for Non Metallic Cable instead of the generic Romex.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

What city does this concern? Statewide, the 2002 NEC is in effect for new construction. Existing installations that were installed to the code of the time are ruled by local ordinance which may be available on the web, some only on paper.

[ September 23, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: al hildenbrand ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

My first question is, ?Why is a City Inspector looking at your house in the first place?? Are you remodeling, and is the Inspector looking at your plans? If so, the Inspector has the authority to require anything you touch to be brought up to current codes. At the other extreme, if you had the Inspector over for dinner and he just happened to notice something that violates today?s codes, I don?t think he would have the authority to demand a repair. What is going on at your house?

Status
Not open for further replies.