What to do-Apprenticeship Costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacovolt

Occupation
Apprentice
I am a 4th year apprentice and will be taking my exam in a month. I've worked for my company for 5 years. I owe them roughly 7k per year for each year (4) of training after I graduate, 28k in total. I obviously regret this because now I am stuck in this area for anther 4 years.

Did anyone have any luck getting out of this, or lowering costs- possibly by finding a company that was willing to cover some/all of the costs.

I'd appreciate hearing your experiences or words of advice!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My understanding is if it is an apprenticeship registered with the federal government, and most are, this is not legal. But I could be in error.

You would be wise to pay a few bucks to a lawyer to find out for sure.

Last edited:

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Apprenticeship classes in my area range from completely free to no more than 2000k a year. Your arrangement seems off.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I owe them roughly 7k per year for each year (4) of training after I graduate, 28k in total. I obviously regret this because now I am stuck in this area for anther 4 years. Did anyone have any luck getting out of this, or lowering costs.
Why 4 more years you can't work for someone else and pay off the schooling? And in my book if you signed a deal to repay them them you owe them the money.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I am a 4th year apprentice and will be taking my exam in a month. I've worked for my company for 5 years. I owe them roughly 7k per year for each year (4) of training after I graduate, 28k in total. I obviously regret this because now I am stuck in this area for anther 4 years.

Did anyone have any luck getting out of this, or lowering costs- possibly by finding a company that was willing to cover some/all of the costs.

I'd appreciate hearing your experiences or words of advice!
I’m trying to understand this..
you actually owe them 28k or you owe them 4 years of work and they forget the 28k?
Normally this is a payment to make sure they don’t foot the bill for your training then you leave once your done.

tacovolt

Occupation
Apprentice
I’m trying to understand this..
you actually owe them 28k or you owe them 4 years of work and they forget the 28k?
Normally this is a payment to make sure they don’t foot the bill for your training then you leave once your done.
It is a payment to make sure I don't leave within 4 years of obtaining my license. Just an extremely large one.
So if I leave after one year post-license, I owe 21k, then 14k, then 7k.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
That’s just a return on investment. like infinity said you signed up for this, and they trained you now it’s your turn to pay them back ( with your 4 years of working for them)
I could but that is about $500 for the next 4 years, and I'd like to have kids.
what’s this 500 bucks, they going to pay you a journey wage, you can live off that and have kids, if your tight on money and want to save, then do a budget, I bet you can cut out 500$ a month on unnecessary items
Follow this guy if you want to save money and live a better life

please do your time and don’t be like the student loan people and try and have it forgiven even though they either knowing excepted or played dump.

tacovolt

Occupation
Apprentice
That’s just a return on investment. like infinity said you signed up for this, and they trained you now it’s your turn to pay them back ( with your 4 years of working for them)

what’s this 500 bucks, they going to pay you a journey wage, you can live off that and have kids, if your tight on money and want to save, then do a budget, I bet you can cut out 500$ a month on unnecessary items
Follow this guy if you want to save money and live a better life

please do your time and don’t be like the student loan people and try and have it forgiven even though they either knowing excepted or played dump.
I understand, I’m underpaid as is but I could pay it if I really tried to. It’s just a hell of a commitment (again).

I was 19 when I signed up for this, and boy do I regret it. Boy if I could go back and tell myself a few things.

I don’t think I could get student loan forgiveness since it’s not a loan anyways.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I was saying don’t be like those people and get something and try and get out of paying for what you signed up for.

whats your pay— or more importantly what does your contract state about pay it has to say something.
sounds like it’s not about the money it’s you don’t like these guys anymore

dude just think of it this way, 4 more years if your like oregon you take your masters -open your own shop- realize How nice and simple working for some one is lol- then either grit teeth and keep working for your self or go back to the man. Either way appreciate what you got, cause it’s a lot better than most people out there.

listen to Ramsey, he helped me a lot ,I have called him a lot ,its better advice then most people.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I know this isn't what you want to hear but, you're 23 now and even though 4 years seems like a long time it isn't, you'll be 27 if you stay to complete your agreement with them. That's just over one code cycle.

MattG0311

Occupation
Apprentice Wireman
I’d get out of it if you can. Honestly they probably got their moneys worth out of you with an incremental pay scale. If they didn’t, maybe they should learn how to manage apprentice labor. A lot of these clauses are scare tactics that hold little legal weight. I’d consult a lawyer and see how binding this contract really is.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No kidding. This is the first I’ve heard of this.
It's as HV&LV said, the company invests in training and wants to be sure the apprentice doesn't just up and leave after completing the training.

The OP's situation is extreme but we did something similar just not nearly that much, probably around $1,000 a year. The agreement was that we paid for the training and if the employee stayed for four years after passing the Jmans exam they owed nothing. We were in an area that had a one to one ratio so investing in a Jmans education was a big win for both parties.

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
National and state/provincial law may be relevant. What country and state/province are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.