What needs AFCIs/GFCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Ok, so, 2014 on this one...

My understanding: Fridge AFCI, SABC GFCI and AFCI, DW/Disp GFCI and AFCI, washer AFCI. Do I have this right? Really confused.

My understanding: Fridge AFCI, SABC GFCI and AFCI, DW/Disp GFCI and AFCI, washer AFCI. Do I have this right? Really confused.

Checked my notes and that looks to be right. The AFCI is easy - if a 15 or 20 amp branch circuit lands on an outlet, switch, or device in any living area, excepting the bath, it's probably gonna need an AFCI. It's easier to keep track of the areas that don't need an AFCI. ( I said easy, not inexpensive. )

Buck Parrish

Yeah, seems right to me as well.
As a side note, since the manufacturers have already used the word 'combination' which some people might still think means AFCI and GFCI. But most of us know it means the neutral and the hot.
So the new term in case any of you all have not heard. The AFCI / GFCI combination will actually be called a ''Dual function'' breaker.
I can remember years ago when the term combination first came out. A lot of people thought then that it was AFCI / GFCI. So now we know. It's a ''Dual Function''

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Yeah, seems right to me as well.
As a side note, since the manufacturers have already used the word 'combination' which some people might still think means AFCI and GFCI. But most of us know it means the neutral and the hot.
So the new term in case any of you all have not heard. The AFCI / GFCI combination will actually be called a ''Dual function'' breaker.
I can remember years ago when the term combination first came out. A lot of people thought then that it was AFCI / GFCI. So now we know. It's a ''Dual Function''
Actually, I think that "combination" refers to both serial and parallel arc fault detection.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Checked my notes and that looks to be right. The AFCI is easy - if a 15 or 20 amp branch circuit lands on an outlet, switch, or device in any living area, excepting the bath, it's probably gonna need an AFCI. It's easier to keep track of the areas that don't need an AFCI. ( I said easy, not inexpensive. )

I hate to reopen an old wound for the forum (one of the longest arguments on the forum here), but most of us do not believe a switch is an outlet, and therefore adding a switch would not kick in AFCI requirements.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I hate to reopen an old wound for the forum (one of the longest arguments on the forum here), but most of us do not believe a switch is an outlet, and therefore adding a switch would not kick in AFCI requirements.
But anywhere the initial requirements mention "device", that does include a switch.

edlee

Clothes washer needs both, including other outlets in the "laundry area". If the refrig is within 6' of a sink it needs GF protection also.

It's all in 210.8 and 210.12. Ya just have to read it about 20 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.