What kind of light rain/wind jackets do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm needing a light windbreaker/raincoat and wondering what you guys use. All I have found so far is either made too flimsy for actual work to be done in, or made more like a wet-suit and expensive enough that I don't want to risk ending up tearing the material while working in it. It seems you can't find working man's clothing in this line, or at least not that I have found yet.

I've worked out of a Dickie's windbreaker for several years, but it's really not waterproof, and doesn't take long to get wet underneath. It is good for cool spring/fall days, though.

Ariat, Cinch, and Carhartt all feel like they would take one snag and rip wide open .. and at the $100+ price, that's not a risk I want to take.

Colombia and North Face are more geared just for hiking, as they have mesh pockets and one screw would rip that to shreds.

I just don't like the way Frogg Toggs feel, although my fishing friend swears by them.

Cheap house brands are all non breathable Nylon and I want to be able to work in it without becoming soaked in sweat. I have a Filson "tin cloth", which is a type of oil cloth coat. Great for downpour, but does not breath at all! So hot to work in, if it's just a light rain.

Wondering what brands you guys have had good luck with.

kwired

Electron manager
Well I suppose if you want excellent tear and puncture resistance you could go with something made of kevlar, but it could be pretty heavy and limit mobility:)

mgookin

Not sure what type of work you do (on highways or industrial or residential construction or maint, etc...) but I don't think you're going to come across one jacket which does everything you want. I'll suggest you have 2 or more jackets.

Foul weather gear from West Marine works well in the nastiest of storms. It's for the most inclement weather.

A light jacket is fine for light rain for short durations. As you say they are not going to last very long but that's the cost of doing business.

As to what's waterproof AND breathes? I believe that would be Goretex. You can find products made of Goretex from the outdoors shops like Cabellas and Bass Pro.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Wear guard

Wear guard

Wear guard makes a good jacket. I use the 3 season jacket, it is not waterproof but it takes a while to get wet. They also have others.

JFletcher

I have a old Totes rain jacket I use if it's cool/cold. If it's warm/hot, I go w/o - sweat too much with one on. For misting or just wind, a Dickies hooded zippered jacket is enough. I'm thinking maybe that new Rust-Oleum Never-Wet might work well on clothing.

cadpoint

I've been working in the rain a lot lately.

I've been thinking a lot about a one size larger trench coat. If your only wearing a regular coat then your lower outer wear
gets the wet from the combined exposure. I know wear the bottoms too, but that is like wearing a work out suit.

Since your in Texas, it seems they'd have some of those available.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'm just too picky and asking for too much.

In doing research for this, found out Patagonia's founder is a hoot. I would like to use their product, but the rain shells are just that, simple one layer shells and don't think that's what I'm looking for at this time of year.

That Gill inshore looks interesting, may have to take a trip to Garland and check it out.

Marmot Tamarack also looks promising.

Seems the working man is a rare thing these days. Everything is geared for recreational use. Multi layered, etc .. The "in" thing seems to be some kind of wetsuit feeling material. May be wrong, but one snag seems would kill that pretty quick.

I do have a trench coat, an Aussie Drover oil one, but like my Filson, tends to be a bit hot unless it's a cold rainy day. TBH, East TX doesn't really have cold rainy days all that often.

Guess it's a moot point .. all this started due to having to upgrade a service last Tues in the rain, and TXU cancelled it anyway! :) Suppose to be sunny on the reschedule!

Status
Not open for further replies.