what is the difference between a union ground and a eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Re: what is the difference between a union ground and a eric

Not famaliar with either term, but here's my best guess. I believe that both of those terms refer to the manner in which the grounding electrode conductor is terminated to the grounding electrode.

"Union ground", short for Penn-Union, maker of the typical acorn type grounding clamp and other miscellaneous compression connectors for grounding.

"ericson ground", possibly referring to Erico, manufacturer of the CadWeld system of exothermic weld type grounding and bonding terminations.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Isn't an Ericson a type of threaded conduit union used for joining two pieces of rigid conduit when you can not spin one onto the other?

[ September 10, 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]

mdshunk

Originally posted by infinity:
Isn't an Ericson a type of threaded conduit union used for joining two pieces of rigid conduit when you can not spin one onto the other?
Yes, that is a slang term for a 3 piece conduit coupling. This is why I thought that he perhaps meant Erico with respect to grounding, since it has been a long time since any fittings have been manufactured under the Ericson name. They're mostly into the temporary power and spider box line of stuff now.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

I believe that Erickson is a brand name of General Signal/OZ-Gedney for their union fitting.

jwelectric

I made a post in here that was deleted and for good reason. :)

[ September 12, 2005, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

robbyo

thanks for the help I knew about the old school Ericson three piece coupling set up( mostly for when you can't turn the pipe or conduit, such as running threaded pipe surface mount on a wall to a threaded 90, I E you cant turn the 90. But I don't know what a union fitting is ( it was an ? in a EE class I am taking) I know of union fitting for water and gas pipe. Thanks for all the help guys...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

In my area, an Ericson is a standard 3 piece coupling and an union is an explosion proof 3 piece coupling.
Don

[ September 13, 2005, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: don_resqcapt19 ]

robbyo

thanks don that helps but maybe you could shed some light on how or what would be the difference between grounding those two fittings. The Union is it grounded? or is that a not grounded fitting.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

They are both conduit fittings that are suitable for use as part of the equipment grounding path. There is more metal to metal contact in the explosion proof union and, it is, in my opinion, a better grounding path than the standard 3 piece coupling.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.