What is the best deal on 4 ft led

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
You need to scroll to the bottom of the thread. I am working on my cam to size them right for this forum. I simply copied link to another thread. The order was a couple short, I am going to add a couple more yet, one more in paint bay, another in auto.
It's at a point ant changes are minor.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
I made a few hangers from old curtain rods till I ran out then came up with a scheme with some alum frnce wire which is super easy and nice t tie, adjustment is simple, they are so light. Back in the day would have grabbed some emt for hangers but dont remember how much it was last time I bought a bundle. I have some wired and some hangers which I can reach from scaffold to move them if needed.
This will make pictures way easier. My place has been dark since day 1, old fixtures I had collected and added vs change. The recommendation in this forum helped a lot,,, the ones posted were even better than the first ones I thought I was thrilled with. I am surprised tho as to how warm/hot they get. https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/717109-Some-new-lights-too

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
I went back today and added a couple fixtures yet. I had hour and half fixing a circuit and builing a hanger I did about 3 times. I added one to paint and one to mechanics bay. I got them pull chain and made a little hook taped to emt from hanger strap so I can actually reach some of them and tailor it from the ground if I want to economise in a place or 2 only have 1 switch.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Those utility shop lights are essentially identical in construction to A19 LED bulb lamps so 83 lumens per watt out of the box(7,000 lm/84W) in Q3 2023 is nothing short of abysmal and I would expect the expected lifespan in unconditioned space would be far below that of 32W T8 system fitted with Sylvania/GE/Philips ballast. 83 lumens per total luminaire efficacy is doable with T8 fluorescent system. Top of the line commercial LED luminaires are pushing 150 lm/W +.

In early 2010s, that efficacy would have required the highest efficiency ballast driving a lot of LEDs lightly, but with advances in LED elements, they can now drive them harder, and use a dirt cheap ballast with 75-80% efficiency.

FYI, dollar store (two for dollar) Sunbeam LED lamp rated at 1600 lumen is rated at 14.5W with January 2019 date code, which is 110lm/W and rated for 15,000 hrs.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
How much does a top of the line fixture cost? The space isn't totally conditioned but is a low of 50, never freezes.
I just bought a small fixture, was 2500 L and 30 watt.
My old were really dismal. The operating cost isn't a huge factor, limited hours and few fixtures at a time.
Relamped the whole place for 600$.

Last edited:

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
That's the idea behind demise of domestic manufacturing and things that are built to last while disposable goods and Harbor Freight like places rise.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
That's the idea behind demise of domestic manufacturing and things that are built to last while disposable goods and Harbor Freight like places rise.
But domestic thought is one of competition, supply and demand. If someone has a use for a $15.00 light, why should they feel pressured to buy one for $175 ?

Besides, don't Chinese people deserve to eat?

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Lowest initial cost approach. Does something intended to last for years work nicely for the first few weeks after the installation? That's the question. Under this philosophy, why pay for premium quality tools when Harbor Freight tools work just as well... for the first few uses?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Lowest initial cost approach. Does something intended to last for years work nicely for the first few weeks after the installation? That's the question. Under this philosophy, why pay for premium quality tools when Harbor Freight tools work just as well... for the first few uses?
Part of that depends on your overall approach.

Why do some homeowners have a driveway done in cheap asphalt instead of concrete? Because the initial cost, plus low use compared to roads, means lots of years at a much lower price point

Why do people install cheap carpet instead of high quality tile or hardwoods?

Why do people eat cheap ramen noodles, peanut butter or pancakes instead of filet mignon?

Over and over again, there are great examples of a range of choices for consumers.

When I first started using lasers, I went with bosch. Level, plumb, square. And they weren't cheap. Well, the level bit the dust after only a week, so I tried a cheap Amazon version. It lasted 2 years and I gave it to somebody because I upgraded to rechargeable type. That cheap one did me better than an expensive name brand one.

So guess what? All my lasers are no-name from Amazon. And they're cheap enough that I can replace all of them 3 or 4 times before I reach the cost of a name brand one.

Good enough for me

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
Tools have changed. At one time a 50$ battery drill was junk and a 9.6 was 150$. In 2000 or so when 28v came out was 250$ with 1 battery. If you told me then I would be using a 50$ drill in 2021 I would have said and that I would have China end wrenched seen 20 yrs of ruff service I would said the same. We went from a 4 1/2 grinder that cost 100 to one cost 30, as good or better.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
Paid 40 for the first unibit, 12 for last set of 3 and beat them like a rented mule, long since mixed in.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
HF tools often are quite serviceable and the hand tools come with a lifetime warranty. The finish is not Snap On quality but for most uses they are quite acceptable.

I used to add a caveat to that statement warning about their power tools, but the quality of their power tools has improved dramatically and is on par with a lot of other so called pro-sumer tools.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
domestic manufacturing and things that are built to last while disposable goods
They might not be as dis[posable as we thought, at the time we got some of it that was our expectation but now carry a 3/8 wrench in my box I have repeatedly hit with a 20oz nail hammer getting stuck bleeder out and it still works like new. When I look at the OTC made hoist and the one from HF my bud has,,, no comparison in the fit finish the paint and the welding. Americans invented planned obsolescence.

Last edited: