What is MCI cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelhead

Occupation
Industrial Maint/Journeyman
Is MCI cable different from regular MC cable? I know what MCAP and MCI-A cable is, but not sure what MCI cable is. I've seen fittings listed for AC, MCI and MCI-A cable but I didn't see MC in the listing - that's what prompted this question.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
@Steelhead

Actually when you see that on the side of the connector it has to do with the variants of the different Type MC's. For example, the normal Type MC would be the MCI and the Type MC with the outside armor being used as an effective fault current path as the Type MCI-A

The term MCI-A represents products like MCAP from Southwire or MC-SmartGround (MC-SG)...the MCI and MCI-A you see on the connector are only differed in that the -A is for the Type MC Cables where the armor is considered a fault current path...unlike normal Type MC.

Hope this explains it...if not let me know and I will expand in detail.

Steelhead

Occupation
Industrial Maint/Journeyman
@Steelhead

Actually when you see that on the side of the connector it has to do with the variants of the different Type MC's. For example, the normal Type MC would be the MCI and the Type MC with the outside armor being used as an effective fault current path as the Type MCI-A

The term MCI-A represents products like MCAP from Southwire or MC-SmartGround (MC-SG)...the MCI and MCI-A you see on the connector are only differed in that the -A is for the Type MC Cables where the armor is considered a fault current path...unlike normal Type MC.

Hope this explains it...if not let me know and I will expand in detail.

Thank you very much for the response. I was thinking that might be the case, but was unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.