What is conduit?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jark

We have an opportunity to wire a number of new site built/manufactured homes nationwide.The product is a 1.75" thick solid pine T&G stacked plank. The planks have holes drilled vertically every 1.5", which they use for structural purposes, as well as wiring and plumbing where applicable.In a WA state prototype, the inspector would not allow us to use the holes, as the wiring (even if in flex or conduit)was within 1.5" of the finished surface. Since the interior surface is the plank itself,obviously we could say nothing and ran wire on the outside of the planks, and on interior walls we had to stick frame cavities for traditional use. The manufacturer (New Zealand) was upset, because he called the holes "conduit" and are used all the time in their part of the world. Question: will this be an issue in most areas of the USA? I need to get a feel if this will be more trouble than it is worth. I could find no code to specifically address this unique application jmc@direcway.com
Code:
. Help!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: What is conduit?!

300.4(A)(1) would permit EMT to be installed in these holes, but would prohibit cable wiring methods from being used.
Don

john p

I believe if your 1.25" away from the intended screw location your ok. In other words as long as your 1.25" away from the side of a stud your ok.I dont believe 1.25" from the surface is ever mentioned. In the code. Just my thoughts.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

...We have an opportunity to wire a number of new site built/manufactured homes nationwide.The product is a 1.75" thick solid pine T&G stacked plank. The planks have holes drilled vertically every 1.5"...Since the interior surface is the plank itself,obviously we could ...ran wire on the outside of the planks, and on interior walls we had to stick frame cavities for traditional use.

Jark, I can only guess what you are saying since I'm having a real hard time conceptualizing this product from what you have written. I think it's important that we know exactly what this building product is and how it is used in the construction before anyone speculates on an answer. Do you have any links to the manufacturer or pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.