What is a show window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjs

If you look up the definition of a show window in the NEC, it seems just about everywindow would qualify that is on the first floor. We have a retail building and they are putting in a restaurant in one space and are questioning whether they have to put in the show window lighting receptacles.

Anybody have any thoughts on it?

iwire

Staff member
IMO most all restaurant windows are show windows per the NEC.

Many restaurants place lighted signs or decorations in the windows.

I believe that is just the type of thing the NEC was trying to address.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Think about what would be different with and without a receptacle: if window lighting is desired, whether to showcase a display or to supply a neon sign, the need for an extension cord could hang in the balance.

bphgravity

I base it on the occupancy type of the building as specified on the submitted plans. Basically all Group B and Group M and some Group A and Group R with fronting windows will be considered show windows.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I see this as one of those Contractor "extras". If the bid set doesn't show it, you leave it out of your price, knowing later that you issue an RFI, state the code requirement, and get a nice change order.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
kingpb said:
I see this as one of those Contractor "extras". If the bid set doesn't show it, you leave it out of your price, knowing later that you issue an RFI, state the code requirement, and get a nice change order.

A lot of engineering places put a clause somewhere in the bid documents that goes something like this:

Contractor shall provide all items required by code even if not specifically shown on the drawings.

Even the pharse I use:

All work shall be per the 2005 NFPA 70 (National Electric Code

could be interperted to mean the contractor should have included these in their bid.

However, I tend to agree things like this should be a change order. It's the engineers job to put things like this on the drawings. If all the contractors have to guess what constitutes a show window, the project is off to a bad start.

Steve

boater bill

If the engineer didn't design to the AHJ's accepted version of the NEC, I would expect BPHGravity or his conterparts to reject the plans before the contractor even saw the plans. And they have.

It is very easy to include dedicated receptacles for the show windows.
NIKE, just do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.