What IP Adress do I need to set my adaptor to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainGoat

Occupation
Process Engineer
I need to be able to communicate with most of these addresses on RsWho. What ip address do I put in I know my subnet mask
a54c9cc060c899d77670be47bda1a48f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
10.177.122.xxx where xxx is otherwise unused. Subnet mask of 255.255.255.000. this would allow you to get to all the plc's except the safety plc, unless you have it routed.

Why are you using the ethernet driver instead of the ethernet IP driver?

MountainGoat

Occupation
Process Engineer
Just trying to configure my adaptor to see any one of these addresses. Can some explain because its not working at all use one for example.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Your network adaptor should be set to use an address in the 10.177.122.xxx range, where XXX is not used on the network anywhere else. The subnet mask for your adaptor should be set to 255.255.255.000.

I would not be using the ethernet driver though. the ethernet/ip driver does not require configuration so it is simpler to use. But I can't tell from the screen shot if you are using the ethernet driver, or the ethernet/ip driver.

however, your computer would need to be plugged into that network UNLESS you have a router that is configured to route your network messages to another network. in that case your network card would need to have its gateway address set to whatever that router address is.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Mountain Goat,

Did you just install that network adapter?
According to the screen shot the device is found but not recognized using the address 10.177.122.179

If you are using Windows 10. . . chances are it has seen something that you added on-- and that Windows doesn’t recognize it.
If you can go to the registry. . . see if Windows has upgraded itself. Windows does this without telling you.
Or a driver is not available in their depository.

Try “hiding “ the upgrade (temporarily) to take you back to the original registry. Windows will “unhide” the upgrade AGAIN after you reboot.
I suggest checking this link below and see if it will recognize that device (adapter).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

Worst case scenario--the whole thing will revert back to the original setup.
Keep us posted. Good luck

MountainGoat

Occupation
Process Engineer
Mountain Goat,

According to the screen shot the device is found but not recognized using the address 10.177.122.179

If you are using Windows 10. . . chances are it has seen something that you added on-- and that Windows doesn’t recognize it.
If you can go to the registry. . . see if Windows has upgraded itself. Windows does this without telling you.

Try “hiding “ the upgrade (temporarily) to take you back to the original registry. Windows will “unhide” the upgrade AGAIN after you reboot.
I suggest checking this link below and see if it will recognize that device (adapter).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

This sounds like a good answer there has recently been Ethernet switches added to the machin3

MountainGoat

Occupation
Process Engineer
10.177.122.xxx where xxx is otherwise unused. Subnet mask of 255.255.255.000. this would allow you to get to all the plc's except the safety plc, unless you have it routed.

Why are you using the ethernet driver instead of the ethernet IP driver?
Here is what I'm using
a4257170cce11d9d2960abd93d363a97.jpg

MountainGoat

Occupation
Process Engineer
Mountain Goat,

Here is what I'm using and have been using so they changed some switches so it must see new things as well
1cce2426958ba91406591574e1a547c5.jpg

MountainGoat

Occupation
Process Engineer
Here is what I'm using and have been using so they changed some switches so it must see new things as well
1cce2426958ba91406591574e1a547c5.jpg

Actually the network adapter has been on here for quite some time. They are working on some new Ethernet switch back on the wrapper but usually I get online at least with line control.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Mr. MOUNTAIN GOAT says:
Just trying to configure my adaptor to see any one of these addresses. Can some explain because its not working at all use one for example.
…..
After reviewing the screen shot, I noticed the screen shot (post #1)--at the top bar tells a clear story of what you have.
The other screen shot #8 is too blurry.
Now, to answer your question "Can some explain because it’s not working at all. . . .”.

In essence you are asking: “how do I change the IP address?"

The answer is: No you can't.
The RS Linx software Model that you have is the generic version that has its IP Addresses come with the factory setting.

The RS Linx Professional Model is what you need that will allow to do what you have in mind.

You would need a key that will authorize you to run it.
Proprietary rights are at play here.

If you look at the top bar of that first screen shot -- it says RS Linx Classic Lite Model. This is the model that is not customizable.

The more expensive model RS Linx Professional has the feature that can be customized. . .the “industrial grade” type kind of thing.

The other Model RS Linx SDK (Software Development Kit) is for developer and compilers and it can run on Windows and Linux..

Rockwell Software (RS) writes the software while Allen-Bradley makes the hardware, (the PLC module.)

Just curious. . . is this for a palletizing machine or some kind of packaging machinery?

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Rslinx light will work fine for what he wants to do

Perhaps you can walk the GOAT through and help him out.

I've tinkered both the professional model version and RS linx LITE-- but no can do on the LITE Model.
He might be able to make an entry but won't be able to run it without the Rockwell issued key.

I am curious if you can show him and let us know how it works out.

And by the way:
It is LITE....not LIGHT.
In case you're talking something else.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Rslinx classic is the same software. The license just enables different features. Rslinx lite requires no license key at all to run, but all it will do is allow you to communicate with plc's when using ab programming software, which is what he wants to do. Rslinx OEM allows a single opc client. Rslinx professional allows multiple clients. Rslinx gateway allows remote opc, among other things.

I tried previously to give him some guidance but I don't know if he tried what I suggested or not. It is hard to help him remotely like this.

MountainGoat

Occupation
Process Engineer
Yes makes sense and our "Eng team" put in some new switches that where new version requiring Studio 5000. I did not understand why my Rs linx didn't see, kept trying but makes perfect sense. Rs linx did not see anything I would try.

MountainGoat

Occupation
Process Engineer
Perhaps you can walk the GOAT through and help him out.

I've tinkered both the professional model version and RS linx LITE-- but no can do on the LITE Model.
He might be able to make an entry but won't be able to run it without the Rockwell issued key.

I am curious if you can show him and let us know how it works out.

And by the way:
It is LITE....not LIGHT.
In case you're talking something else.
Yes makes sense and our "Eng team" put in some new switches that where new version requiring Studio 5000. I did not understand why my Rs linx didn't see, kept trying but makes perfect sense. Rs linx did not see anything I would try.

Status
Not open for further replies.