Waterflow Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I am working on a fire alarm project.

There is an apartment building with a sprinkler riser. Each floor has 2 apartments. Each apartment is sprinkled and has an OS&Y valve. I will put a tamper switch for each valve, but do I need to put a waterflow switch in each apartment served by the OS&Y valve?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am working on a fire alarm project.

There is an apartment building with a sprinkler riser. Each floor has 2 apartments. Each apartment is sprinkled and has an OS&Y valve. I will put a tamper switch for each valve, but do I need to put a waterflow switch in each apartment served by the OS&Y valve?
Wow, that's a lot of OS&Y's! Each apartment does not require a flow switch. You need one flow switch at the distribution riser, and that's all.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Wow, that's a lot of OS&Y's! Each apartment does not require a flow switch. You need one flow switch at the distribution riser, and that's all.
Is there any code or guidance out there that can teach me where to put a flow switch and where you don't need one? fire protection engineers would always tell me when I needed one but I never understood when you need it and when you dont need it.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Is there any code or guidance out there that can teach me where to put a flow switch and where you don't need one? fire protection engineers would always tell me when I needed one but I never understood when you need it and when you dont need it.
The IFC? (International Fire Code) The NEC has nothing to say about this other than the wiring to a device.
Good luck.

Ron

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You can look at NFPA 13. They have any number of illustrations for the location of water flow switches in various riser types. Some additional information can be found in NFPA 72. The better information is in the Appendix A notes in each standard. Depending on the construction, you may need floor control valves if the apartment building is over 2 stories. See NFPA 13 (2016) section 8.2.4.1 and the Appendix A notes thereto.

Status
Not open for further replies.