Water damaged re-wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

coppertreeelectric

I have a house to rewire, the house goes under water about once every 8 years. The water fills the basement and fills the first floor 5' from the floors. I have a brainstorm of an idea to run all UF for the branch ckts on the basement and 1st floor levels. This will prevent the need to replace Romex in future floods.

Has anyone else done a job that is similar? Does anyone have feed back as to how much extra to charge per opening when dealing with UF vs Romex?

This is an insurance job, so the extra cost is not an issue to the insurance company. They would rather see preventive measures taken.

Any input would be help full.

Steve

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Re: Water damaged re-wire

Hi Steve,
I am working on a bid for house that has flooded 3 times within the last 10 years. 4' deep on the first floor.
Does the ROMEX need to be replaced once it gets wet? Won't UF cables allow water to seep into the cut ends?

coppertreeelectric

I am working on a bid for house that has flooded 3 times within the last 10 years. 4' deep on the first floor.
Does the ROMEX need to be replaced once it gets wet? Won't UF cables allow water to seep into the cut ends?
Joe, Yes any romex that got wet at the ends needs to be replaced, same goes for the old style BX with cloth or paper inserts.

I went round and round with 2 inspectors and have been proven wrong each time. Any and all Romex that is exposed to water needs to be replaced by the NEC and NEMA standards.

UF is a different story, if the ends get wet it doesn't matter, you will need to replace breakers and devices but the wire can stay. UF seems to be the best idea for this situation that we both have come across.

Steve

southernboys

steve what about mc cable or thhn in conduit the reason I ask is good ole Ivan weve been doing quite a bit of storm work as of late and I know were not being made to repool any wire

Status
Not open for further replies.