Was this ever legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJW

This is in an apartment building that was built around 1960. The tap goes over about 2 feet to the house panel. It all looks to be original which made me wonder if double taps like this were allowed at one time.

double tap.JPG

Rewire

I dont know for certain but I remember being told way back when that if the lug openiing were round you could not double tap and if it were oblong you could.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
This is in an apartment building that was built around 1960. The tap goes over about 2 feet to the house panel. It all looks to be original which made me wonder if double taps like this were allowed at one time.

View attachment 7290

breaker on house panel sized appropriately for the reduced gauge wire?

in 1960 the 6' feeder and tap rule woulda been what they'd a gone by, i think......
old guys used to say that with stranded wire, you could put more than
one conductor into a lug, as it was just more stranding, where solid
conductors, you would have something that could wiggle.... and that made
sense to me, as long as you had all the stranding fully thru the lug, etc.

normally tho, you'd use a double lug, or two lugs, facing back to back on
the binding post.... if there was room....

GUNNING

still working ... eh?

still working ... eh?

I think they gave the electrician the cutesy to calculate and use the circular area of the connector and total circular mils of the wire used. Yes they acknowledged electricians could do math. As long as the circular mils of the wire did not exceed the area of the connector it was OK. If it didn't fit it wasn't.
Evidently it still is working satisfactorily.:dunce:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

View attachment 7290

Legal and code compliant. Remember many, many, many areas had or still do not have any codes.

IMHO try to talk about safety issues and stay away from citing code(s) unless you really need to. Understand?

Legal and code compliant. Remember many, many, many areas had or still do not have any codes.

IMHO try to talk about safety issues and stay away from citing code(s) unless you really need to. Understand?

Can you expand on that comment? Is that a "You are better off not talking about something you don't understand" type of comment? Or just based upon so many areas so outdated on code/no code that a better method is to explain industry best practice and the reason behind it? Thanks for clarification.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Can you expand on that comment? Is that a "You are better off not talking about something you don't understand" type of comment? Or just based upon so many areas so outdated on code/no code that a better method is to explain industry best practice and the reason behind it? Thanks for clarification.

It was meant to keep one from using 'legal'. And yes I think that you expained it well. Latter part.

Status
Not open for further replies.